Forum failure

Abraham54

January 16, 11:56 AM my forum gave a white page, telling a database error occurred.
I logged into my server and everything was normal.
No server error log, resources showed no issues.

So, what happened?

On my testdomain I installed the latest XenForo version and installed the latest importer add-on.

I went to import my forum, but data and internal-data could not be found.
I used path.php to see where I went wrong.

In November last year, I had also renewed my forum,
and then the location of the files was:
/home/deb12345/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/data

And path.php showed that the location had changed:
/home/u12345678912/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/data

My question now is, is this data location change responsible for the failure and white page?

The import went smooth and on January 17, my forum was back online.

telling a database error occurred.
did you look at the page source to get more details?

Is this a shared hosting environment or a VPS/dedicated server that you run?
If it is a shared hosting environment, have you checked with your hosting provider to see if they may have migrated the site to different/new hardware for any reason?
If a migration was being done... it's entirely possibly there was a point that the DB was not "live".
The location of your data files is entirely dependent upon your hosting environment.... XF doesn't change the name of the home directory (which is what happened in your examples). That is controlled by your hosting provider.

Last edited:
@Tracy Perry - it is a shared server indeed.
And thank you for your answer.
On my forum members with hosting experience say it is my fault.
But after what I found out with the Importer, my assumption was, that the database lost connection with the files.

I contacted my host - but I got no answer on the location change.

Last edited:
On my forum members with hosting experience say it is my fault.
I've not said it's your fault. I've said the restore problems afterwards were your fault.

My first repsonse to you in pm was to use the backup of the hosting provider which was made that morning.
I've also said that Xenforo is using relative paths and there it should not matter if it's using /home/user1 or home/anotheruser/ as path and that you should contact your hosting provider.

The issues occuring (als also confirmed by other technical members) had never should taken almost a day. So more issues happened.
Don't start lying and blaiming others on this forum too for your own lack of knowledge of things.

You were the one starting the issue, by not waiting for our hosting provider, but started to recover your forums because your forum went offline, probably because the hosters was busy at that moment moving your stuff to another account.
So don't blaim me for your own caused problems. I only tried to help afterwards because of my hosting experience, to solve the problem for you, which you declined.

Oh yes, additionally:
In November last year, I had also renewed my forum,
and then the location of the files was:
/home/deb12345/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/data

And path.php showed that the location had changed:
/home/u12345678912/domains/piepcomp.nl/public_html/data

My question now is, is this data location change responsible for the failure and white page?

This is not even from an internal move from your hosting provider Vimexx.

Vimexx uses u1234566 as accountname.

The /home/deb12345 is from Antagonist, so a totally different provider. You're comparing apples and pears here. This can have -nothing- to do with your issue as this is from 2 totally different providers. And in november last year you were also at Vimexx. Not Antangonist that was the year before.
Stop talking nonsense.

Top Bottom