Forum Development

triggertr

Hello everyone,

I'm living at country that web or to be more correct cyber sector is not knowed well. I made a little research and find interested things like web development,forum development and others. I'm interested to be a web/forum developer. As a xenForo community members I would like to have advice from you. About where i should start,what i have to learn. Researchs i made is a bit complicated because people just say you should know html,css. Others says php,asp. I'm a little stuck where i should start. Will be very nice if anybody can help me about this,or plan me a learn map. Example list of steps. 1.Learn this. 2. Learn this. 3. Continue here and others.

Sorry if I open topic wrong category.

With respect,
Trigger

If you want to make a forum software like Xenforo, you will need the following (at the least )

Knowledge in

1. PHP / Laravel

2. HTML

3. CSS

4. JS

You could simply fork an existing open source forum software and add your own features, style and additions to it.

There are plenty of things you can do online. If you prefer to run a forum, you can surely do it as well. You can either start a brand new forum or buy an already established one, you can checkout flippa if there is any forum available there. Once you have a forum you can then proceed further by asking your queries on forums like this one and by checking out online marketing blogs. You may also find great help on youtube.

Understanding Application Security - specifically the OWASP Top 10.

That would be my first stop immediately before learning how to code.

I would recommend making yourself familiar with a programming language as well as HTML/CSS/JS before attempting to make a whole forum software. It's not too difficult to create a basic forum software, though. A web framework will seriously help you, Laravel would be my favourite.

Hello everyone,

I'm living at country that web or to be more correct cyber sector is not knowed well. I made a little research and find interested things like web development,forum development and others. I'm interested to be a web/forum developer. As a xenForo community members I would like to have advice from you. About where i should start,what i have to learn. Researchs i made is a bit complicated because people just say you should know html,css. Others says php,asp. I'm a little stuck where i should start. Will be very nice if anybody can help me about this,or plan me a learn map. Example list of steps. 1.Learn this. 2. Learn this. 3. Continue here and others.

Sorry if I open topic wrong category.

With respect,
Trigger

Why are you interested to be a web / forum developer?

Its sector that is upgrading the country i live. I decide to go after technology steps :) And web development is kinda interested and mysteri for me.

You too? My name is Reinhard, I am from Venezuela. Student of Systems Engineering. During 12 years of my life, I was fascinated by the forums, I was able to create all a forum software. I called HardBoard, but it was basic, I could add many features during 3 years of programming. This was a personal project, nobody knows this on the internet, but I could try it and create a forum with it. I had many mistakes, which I corrected. But on the way, I realized one thing. I wanted to have my own forum, that no one had the unique characteristics of my forum, I wanted my website to have a forum built from scratch by me (which I did), and it would become incredible. A web page called 3DJuegos, gave me many ideas, also Gaia Online (the biggest forum in the world).

I would recommend this:

1. Learn at an expert level: HTML and CSS is too basic

2. Learn these programming languages (in this order): C, C ++, PHP / Laravel, Java, Javascript.

3. Follow closely the great software of forums in the world: XenForo, vBulletin, Invision Power, Burning Board, phpBB, myBB, SMF, PunBB, BBPress and Vanilla Forum.

4. Study for a whole year, with lots of practice and also mix your knowledge in what you should learn in points 1 and 2.

5. Collaborate with open source forum software such as: phpBB, BBPress, myBB, etc. This way you will learn to develop a forum, its structure, architecture, security, fixing of errors, stopping of errors, simulations, etc.

6. You can grab phpBB and give a read to all your code, see each thing, look for its logic, its function, so that each line of code serves.

7. Learn undoubtedly about Marketing, e-commerce, finance, payment methods, resources and tools on this (Magento can serve).

8. Try to become proficient in using WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and Magento. This will give you more insight when it comes to programming, it will give you creativity, it will give you a lot of scope. And also it will give you work in the network, because if you become expert in all this. You will be a very requested webmaster, and with the money earned you can try to invest in your dream, to create a forum software (open source or paid, it is your choice).

9. Also do not forget to learn all about SEO, advertising, AdWords, how to make your forum friendly with them.

10. It is important that you learn about Networking and Web Security.

11. Do not forget to prepare for your forum software to be social. Be easy to use, eye-friendly and in use.

12. Almost forgot, you should learn about databases: preferably on SQL, MySQL, XML. Not only know how to use them, but also know how to integrate with the programming language in which you plan to write your forum software.

13. Understanding Application Security - specifically the OWASP Top 10. This is more important than you can imagine.

14. Go through many user forums, this gives you creativity, variety of styles and different uses of a feature. In every web page that I enter, the first thing I do is to review their forums. I search if it has a forum, I review it in its entirety, it serves me to learn new methods and ways of doing something.

Now about tips for pursuing:

I recommend you study hard and do too much practice on each topic. There are endless resources, manuals, guides and PDF about everything you need to know. But it is also necessary, that you start at once, do not wait any longer.

Its sector that is upgrading the country i live. I decide to go after technology steps :) And web development is kinda interested and mysteri for me.

So you want to learn web development to earn a living correct? The best way to start, since you are already engaged here, is learn to code a plugin for xenforo. Make a small plugin and release it for free. That will teach you more in a few weeks then months of practicing alone. If you can do it, show us your plugin here. Then you can think bigger.

If xenforo license is stopping you, you can do the same on Wordpress. Wordpress is free and easy to learn. Code a WP plugin and show it to the world. Then think bigger.

Top Bottom