Forum comparison - XF, IPB & vB to one database?

optrex

I would like to do a proof of concept to the members on one of my sites. Its not possible I don't think currently, but I am wondering, if with tweeking it would be?

Consider 3 forums on 3 domains, a vB variant, and IPB variant and a XF variant - all going to one database. Members of the forum would be able to flick between each and see exactly the same info, presented in each variants style format.

I'm thinking it would allow admins to catering for the members who prefer a particular style or feature set.

Thoughts?

The schemas are completely different with different code, datawriters, features, etc.

The database and code would have to be hacked to within an inch of its life to make it compatible to all three and then come upgrade time, you'd have to customise the code to be able to upgrade.

I feared that would be the case. Would it be possible to so with database syncho? Sort of like a live conversion script constantly running?

If it could be done simply, I feel that a plugin of some kind would have been developed where you can literally toggle between platforms. But in actuality, it would be so difficult to the point that it would not even be close to worth it to do. A great example is trying to convert Wordpress to Joomla. There are such vast differences in the database schema and I believe it is near impossible to convert automatically, must be done manually by a professional.

The best way to do this was have XenForo handle it with it's datawriter and have a postSave method update the other 2 databases each time. But that is just the start of it...

Top Bottom