Forensic Analysis of Malicious Code

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one you reference in your OP.
Greetings. It was brought to my attention that I have downloaded a pirated add-on from an external site. I did not know this at the time. Apparently they have a reputation of injecting malicious code into your site.

I would like for someone to review the files as to make sure there was no malicious code injected. I have uninstalled the add-on and deleted related files.

Thanks,

Where?

May I respectfully ask if you have gone a decade without making any recurring mistakes? If so, I would be grateful for the opportunity to learn from your experience
You don't see me making any such claims.
kindly request that you refrain from leaving comments unless you can provide constructive feedback aimed at assisting me in resolving the issue
Just report any of my posts you don't like. The xF team will exercise its judgement.

Keep in mind I merely answered your accusations of slander and defamation. Neither are true and I'm allowed to point that out.

Here's an idea - stop making such accusations.

You don't see me making any such claims.
Just report any of my posts you don't like. The xF team will exercise its judgement.

Keep in mind I merely answered your accusations of slander and defamation. Neither are true and I'm allowed to point that out.

Here's an idea - stop making such accusations.
If I may, it appears that you may be one of those individuals who derive satisfaction from pointing out flaws in others. Please note that it could be considered slanderous if someone presumes that you acted intentionally without seeking your side of the story first. Moreover, I find it perplexing that they would resort to citing an old post from a decade ago. If indeed they presumed that I had been actively using the pirated software for ten years, why has no other post surfaced to support their claim?

I struggle to comprehend the rationale behind their argument. If this is not considered slandering, then it is reasonable to expect that they would have sought more information before making assumptions.

If I may, it appears that you may be one of those individuals who derive satisfaction from pointing out flaws in others. Please note that it could be considered slanderous if someone presumes that you acted intentionally without seeking your side of the story first. Moreover, I find it perplexing that they would resort to citing an old post from a decade ago. If indeed they presumed that I had been actively using the pirated software for ten years, why has no other post surfaced to support their claim?

I struggle to comprehend the rationale behind their argument. If this is not considered slandering, then it is reasonable to expect that they would have sought more information before making assumptions.
When they state facts it isn't slander. Period. Russ only stated facts. You're throwing accusations around which you don't understand the definition of.
How does "warez" fit into "Pirated add-on from an external site". Now that I am aware the site it was downloaded from hosts pirated goods, I intend to stay far away.
"Warez" is merely another way of saying pirated.

Hopefully you reported that site to xF management?

And here's the answer to your problem, which you might have missed. Your host can handle this for you.
Basically, if you want to be 100% sure.
There is nothing left for you but to completely rebuild the server.
Overwrite all files with the legal ones.
Check everything with an AV

When they state facts it isn't slander. Period. Russ only stated facts. You're throwing accusations around which you don't understand the definition of.
"Warez" is merely another way of saying pirated.

Hopefully you reported that site to xF management?
If I may, I believe there might be some misinterpretation of the term "fact." It is not factual to assume that you should know about the existence of sites hosting stolen goods and discern which ones to avoid. As you have previously mentioned, such an assumption could be considered slanderous if it suggests that you acted intentionally without first seeking your side of the story.

Given that they presume I have been actively utilizing pirated software for ten years, which I maintain is not true, such an assumption could indeed be considered slanderous. It is imperative to note that this is not a factual claim.

See definition for fact below:
a thing that is known or proved to be true.

And here's the answer to your problem, which you might have missed. Your host can handle this for you.
Furthermore, as mentioned above, I reported it to XF team and already stated I had the problem fixed already. Thank you for your help.

It is not factual to assume that you should know about the existence of sites hosting stolen goods and discern which ones to avoid
That's not what he said or inferred. He merely pointed out it wasn't the first time. It's not slander.

Test it - xF management removes slander. Report Russ's post.

I think he has realised his mistake and has publicly addressed us with it! Helping him would make more sense than continuing to reproach him.

Basically, if you want to be 100% sure.
There is nothing left for you but to completely rebuild the server.
Overwrite all files with the legal ones.
Check everything with an AV.

From harm comes wisdom.
Thank you for your reply.

Like I said, report it.
For all I know you and RUSS are on the XF team. I just wanted to get my point across. There are others who commented similar things. At the end of the day, I said it was a mistake and they brought up a post from 10 years ago without offering any help on the related subject. Instead chose to assume that I am doing this intentionally.

For all I know you and RUSS are on the XF team
Thanks for the belly laugh. Russ owns PixelExit and makes great themes and styles, and I'm with OzzModz.

Xenforo lists all of their staff on its staff page.

Again you are assuming what others assume? You could just drop it ya know. We still get to choose whether to believe your story of the ten year hiatus or not. We're not required to do so.

Thanks for the belly laugh. Russ owns PixelExit and makes great themes and styles, and I'm with OzzModz.

Xenforo lists all of their staff on its staff page.

Again you are assuming what others assume? You could just drop it ya know. We still get to choose whether to believe your story of the ten year hiatus or not. We're not required to do so.

We're not required to do so.
It is your choice to believe something that happened so long ago. If I may, can you find any other post regarding the same subject? This is the only occurrence. You can clearly see a gap in my activity. Instead, you choose to believe a false narrative. That's your choice. I know the difference. If my intention was to do this illicitly, why would I reach out to the developer or reply to their discussion using pirated software? If you read the discussion page you will see that I was clueless. Anyhow I have better things to do. Believe what you want but at the end of the day, I know the truth. Regardless of what someone online says.

I believe the long ago, jury still out on the 10 year gap claim. It's okay though, ultimately I helped you by pointing out the helpful post.
I didn't require your help as I stated it was fixed. Believe what you want. Doesn't bother me. Just highlights your personality. It doesn't take a genius to see my activity and the gap in between. Although I do not sense that from conversing with you, respectfully.

Your original comment didn't mention helping as much as it was to come to their rescue. I see why you have that avatar. Thanks for your comments. After a long day, some humour was much needed.

One thing I might ask, and I kind of hate to - but earlier you said you were 14, ten years ago? But on your profile we see:
Screenshot_20230315-171421-097.webp

Age 32 now?

Don't want to assume bad math. But don't know what to believe either.

original comment didn't mention helping as much as it was to come to their rescue
That's right I had zero interest in the thread until you accused Russ of all people, with slander. Then I started to pity you a little bit. Glad you got your problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom