Force Read Thread [Paid] [Deleted]

Liam W

in memoriam 1998-2020
Liam W submitted a new resource:

Force Read Thread - Force your users (and your guests) to read a thread (or threads)...

This add-on allows you to flag threads as 'must read'. Users that have not viewed such threads will see a page listing the threads they must view before continuing.

To prevent issues with saving/viewing data, these checks aren't performed for POST or Ajax (view) requests (such as the alerts box).

There is also an option to apply these threads to guests - the read information is then stored in the session data.

There are forum permissions to mark threads as 'Force Read', as well as forum...

Read more about this resource...

Hello!

I just purchased this, as I've been looking for something like this for a while now!

I have set up the admin permissions to allow "Force thread to be read" and also "Delete thread read data". However I do not see the option under Thread Tools to Delete Read Data. Therefore the add-on is working fine for new threads, however I am not able to apply it to old threads and delete the read data so all members must again read the thread.

Also, enabling this takes over the entire website - would it be possible to have it so that it's only enabled when the member visits the forums pages? For example, I use XenPorta 2 as my home page, and have several other web page nodes set up. I'd like the normal home page to be displayed when the site is first visited, and then for this add-on to kick in once they click on the Forums tab or any link to a forum thread.

Many thanks for developing this - it will be very useful!

Hello!

I just purchased this, as I've been looking for something like this for a while now!

I have set up the admin permissions to allow "Force thread to be read" and also "Delete thread read data". However I do not see the option under Thread Tools to Delete Read Data. Therefore the add-on is working fine for new threads, however I am not able to apply it to old threads and delete the read data so all members must again read the thread.

Also, enabling this takes over the entire website - would it be possible to have it so that it's only enabled when the member visits the forums pages? For example, I use XenPorta 2 as my home page, and have several other web page nodes set up. I'd like the normal home page to be displayed when the site is first visited, and then for this add-on to kick in once they click on the Forums tab or any link to a forum thread.

Many thanks for developing this - it will be very useful!

Hi, could you check the template modifications to see if the thread_view template modification for this add-on has been applied? There should be a green number representing the number of styles on your site.

As per the global action, I'll add in the ability to disable it for specific controllers/views/tab ids tonight :)

Liam

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply!

It doesn't look as though the template modification has been applied. It is highlighted green in the "View Template Modifications" section, and doesn't show up on the main template. It appears just underneath:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$canReplyBan}">

If I manually add the code, it works.

As for the global action, that would be fantastic, thank you! :)

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply!

It doesn't look as though the template modification has been applied. It is highlighted green in the "View Template Modifications" section, and doesn't show up on the main template. It appears just underneath:

Code:
<xen:if is="{$canReplyBan}">

If I manually add the code, it works.

As for the global action, that would be fantastic, thank you! :)

There's likely another template modification conflicting. I'll see if I can lower the specificity of the find part.

Liam

Liam W updated Force Read Thread with a new update entry:

Excluded Controllers

This version adds the ability to exclude specific controllers (and actions, if wanted), from being shown the action required page.

There is a new option in the Force Read Threads list to specify controllers and actions.

You can view this thread for details and examples: https://xf-liam.com/threads/tutorial-excluded-controllers.793/

(Some template modifications were also fixed/improved)

Read the rest of this update entry...

screen-shot-2016-08-20-at-12-15-05-pm-png.139455

Nice. People should buy the addon before the emergency announcement is needed so they can act quickly !
Great idea.

Hi Liam, First of all, thank you for your efforts on this.

The Excluded Controllers method seems like an overly complicated approach to me when compared to the likely real world usage of wanting such a feature. I would think that most admins who feature only a forum and no main website will be happy for the add-on to immediately kick in and direct specific usergroups to the forced page. It's only admins who also have a separate homepage and other page nodes who may want an exclusion so that this add-on only kicks in on the forums pages.

Is there a better approach you can think of other than making the admin go through every page of their website looking at controllers and adding each one, such as an options to "enable on forum pages only"? It is especially complicated as there is no quick way for a single admin to check whether it is actually working or not, as we cannot see the 'forced' page ourselves as whenever we mark a thread we have effectively also read it?

Thanks again :)

PS - putting this out there, "Forced Reply" anyone? :D

Hi Liam, First of all, thank you for your efforts on this.

The Excluded Controllers method seems like an overly complicated approach to me when compared to the likely real world usage of wanting such a feature. I would think that most admins who feature only a forum and no main website will be happy for the add-on to immediately kick in and direct specific usergroups to the forced page. It's only admins who also have a separate homepage and other page nodes who may want an exclusion so that this add-on only kicks in on the forums pages.

Is there a better approach you can think of other than making the admin go through every page of their website looking at controllers and adding each one, such as an options to "enable on forum pages only"? It is especially complicated as there is no quick way for a single admin to check whether it is actually working or not, as we cannot see the 'forced' page ourselves as whenever we mark a thread we have effectively also read it?

Thanks again :)

PS - putting this out there, "Forced Reply" anyone? :D

In reality, no, as controllers can be added by add-ons and then something that would be expected to be allowed wouldn't be.

You can use a wildcard to allow for all controllers of an add-on.

Basically, instead of a specific word after the controller reference, but an asterisk:

Code:
XX_ControllerPublic_*

Liam

Then wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way around, and automatically bypass all controllers except for the forum controllers? Then you could just have a switch in the admin panel for "show on forum pages only"?

Otherwise I can see this becoming quite unmanageable as new things get added, again especially as the admin themselves can't ever test the settings without he help of a 3rd party.

Then wouldn't it be possible to do it the other way around, and automatically bypass all controllers except for the forum controllers? Then you could just have a switch in the admin panel for "show on forum pages only"?

Otherwise I can see this becoming quite unmanageable as new things get added, again especially as the admin themselves can't ever test the settings without he help of a 3rd party.

Well, yes, but then you've got add-ons that are technically part of the forums that won't be checked

I'll add it in when I get home.

Liam

I think that's ok - so long as it shows up on the forum home page, and on thread views, then it will do it's job :)

Thanks Liam - much appreciated!

Hello Liam,

Thank you for the add on. How would I set it so only certain usergroups only see certain forced error threads?

For examples I have a lot of usergroups but would only want one or two usergroups to actually see the forced threads page because I would only use it for those usergroups.

I was playing around with the permissions but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Hello Liam,

Thank you for the add on. How would I set it so only certain usergroups only see certain forced error threads?

For examples I have a lot of usergroups but would only want one or two usergroups to actually see the forced threads page because I would only use it for those usergroups.

I was playing around with the permissions but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

You need to grant user groups that shouldn't be forced to read threads the 'Bypass forced thread read' permission.

It might be easier to create a new user group and promote people to it using existing user groups as a condition, depending on your setup.

You need to grant user groups that shouldn't be forced to read threads the 'Bypass forced thread read' permission.

It might be easier to create a new user group and promote people to it using existing user groups as a condition, depending on your setup.

Thank you...I think I got it figured out.

Top Bottom