XF 1.2 Forbidden You don't have permission to access /admin.php on this server.

XF doesn't even get run when mod_security triggers; mod_security has no way of knowing whether or not the input would be a problem so it just blacklists anything that might be problematic.
Aha! It never even reached the XF code because mod_security blacklisted it immediately.

Good to know!

WOW mod_security is being a real pain. It's basically flagging every single Ajax Request due to it's POST data...jeez.

I have just responded to your ticket.

Every time your particular error message has been reported, it has been due to mod_security.

If your host is unwilling or unable to resolve it, you should consider another host.

Here is what I found in my research on the matter.

mod_security has a number of security modules that can be loaded up. One of these module is sql injection attack prevention.
XF IS safe from sql injection.

SO, why is mod_security being such a pain?

The mod_security module inspects incoming requests to apache. Based on a some wicked long and ugly regular expression it analyzes the request for what it thinks are common requests that sql injection hackers would use.
If the regex matches, it kicks out and denies the request even before it actually process the request in apache or executes any of the XF code.

Since we know XF is sql injection safe, you can ask your host to relax or modify the mod_security rules for you XF installation.

First of all, you need to stop thinking that the two are related, they aren't. mod_security is there to protect the entire server, not just your XF installation. In a shared environment, hosting companies aren't going to relax the rules for one customer when it's going to affect everyone else on the server. For dedicated servers and VPS installations, it's a bit easier as it's just going to affect one customer. In this case, the customer should be able to go in and fine tune where necessary.

One of the great things about mod_security is the ability to fine tune. Unfortunately, this takes a bit of knowledge and time once a new mod_security installation is put into place. On a new server, it takes me around 2 months to get things fine tuned to where I'm satisfied that mod_security will do its job and won't interfere with the site. You can whitelist specific rules so your server doesn't trigger them. You can ask on the mod_security list for assistance in fine tuning the rule itself.

However, disabling mod_security in its entirety is just plain silly. If you don't have the knowledge to work with it, get someone who does.

@Brogan Thanks again. The level 1 tech I talked to earlier had just enough of a clue of what you were talking about to refer me to a higher level tech who is currently working on the problem.
Thanks for your help as well guys, but honestly I'm afraid to break it any worse.. lol

Top Bottom