For those planning to convert an existing forum to XenForo...

thedude

...how do you think your users will react to the change?

Some users don't like even the smallest change so it's risky doing something big like this. We plan to open a test XenForo so they can play with it and give us feedback before converting the main site.

What I'm waiting to see is how email subscriptions will be dealt with. I remember test driving a forum years ago where the emails looked like an extension of the forum. IOW, they put thought into the features and ergonomics of the emails. The forum was fudforum.

Can you explain what those email features where?

My users have already questioned the change on how well the new one will work, if it will be as good, etc. My only answer is that I know the developers as coders and so I know they won't release unless they are sure its public ready.

We Shall See abt that ...... but the first thing that needs to be seen is : -- The Price of Xenforo and the Price Table , the template structure , the plugin system , the seo system ......

By the way , do we get a demo pack lol for us to use , who has come from vb.org to see the script ??? should be nice to have a demo pack released ....

PS : Surely not be Converting my original forums , unless xenforo runs over 1 - 2 yrs minimum ;)

I inherited a forum several years ago, around the time vBulletin was at version 1. The forum was running with a truly diabolical colour scheme....

They are going to love XenForo when I upgrade them.

But they won't let go of the colour scheme though, so I may be faced with the very real prospect of running the ugliest XenForo installation on the web :eek:
There's a solution to this I did on my forum.

Clone the ugly style and rename it Vintage style. Modify every user account (SQL query) to use the Vintage style. Then modify the Default style as needed.

Over time, new users will pick up the new Default, and the roster of older members using the Vintage theme will shrink. Eventually it will become a niche thing to use the Vintage theme.

There's a solution to this I did on my forum.

Clone the ugly style and rename it Vintage style. Modify every user account (SQL query) to use the Vintage style. Then modify the Default style as needed.

Over time, new users will pick up the new Default, and the roster of older members using the Vintage theme will shrink. Eventually it will become a niche thing to use the Vintage theme.
clever idea...

Top Bottom