Footer Links

Hackfall

Am I right in thinking that the footer links "Home, News, Search, Contact Us" etc as right at the bottom of this page are just static HTML links added to a footer template manually. In other words there is no form to configure what links appear in the footer on the admin side. I've searched for this but can't see one.

I'm thinking I will create contact, about, privacy policy etc as "Pages" and I'll deselect "Display in the node list". Then make links to these pages in the footer template. Is this the right approach?

If there was a demo I could download and install locally to have a quick poke around in I'd not be asking stupid questions. I recently spent a week trying to get to grips with Drupal only to find that its brain doesn't work the same as my brain. I've gone back to Textpattern.

Am I right in thinking that the footer links "Home, News, Search, Contact Us" etc as right at the bottom of this page are just static HTML links added to a footer template manually. In other words there is no form to configure what links appear in the footer on the admin side. I've searched for this but can't see one.

That's a custom footer on this site. You can modify the HTML and CSS to do stuff like this.

I'm thinking I will create contact, about, privacy policy etc as "Pages" and I'll deselect "Display in the node list". Then make links to these pages in the footer template. Is this the right approach?

That works. That approach works well for page nodes.

Thanks Jake. I see that for the standard "Home, Privacy, Contact" pages these can be setup in >>options/list/basicBoard. I guess that if I can do what I want to do with those 3 pages then I don't need to customise the template otherwise I just add some HTML to the existing footer template here: >>templates/footer.130/edit&style_id=1

Thanks again!

If you don't want to customise your page templates to be unique for just a few pages, then you can create another style, customise that, then assign it to those pages only... thus you have unique pages without screwing with other pages.

The pages system is within its infancy as I view it. Once XF get the pages system working from the front end as well, then it really extends XF to literally create areas within areas all because there are no limits on where pages can be placed in the hierarchy.

If pages has a front end editing system in the future, you could literally create a CMS in one area, a blog in another, static pages another, etc etc... all using the pages system.

This is one area I hope that XF explore and expand in the coming years.

@Anthony Parsons The blog/CMS platforms seem to have singularly failed to extend themselves into providing a satisfactory forum. I think you are right it would make sense and be easier for XenForo to extend a bit in that direction to produce a complete site solution. One of the things I'm pondering at the moment is how to have a page or two in front of my forum like the XenForo site home page. I know I can buy a Portal add on and use that or perhaps I install XenForo into a directory/folder and have static pages in the root folder.

You can write you own URL structure, to a point, with pages and assign it to the home tab / any tab you want pretty much, when you combine it with Jakes node to tab add-on.

If you really wanted to, you could use a rewrite rule to change /pages/ in the URL. Being a page, you can literally construct them of either HTML or PHP, thus your limits are endless for the type of page being created.

One of the things I'm pondering at the moment is how to have a page or two in front of my forum like the XenForo site home page. I know I can buy a Portal add on and use that or perhaps I install XenForo into a directory/folder and have static pages in the root folder.

Anthony mentioned the Nodes As Tabs addon which can work in this instance:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

Brogan is using this addon for a "home" tab:

http://cliptheapex.com/community/pages/home/

He setup a redirect from the root:

http://cliptheapex.com/

This works very well and is easy to setup as long as it doesn't offend your sense of URL organization, which it does for some people.

If you really wanted to, you could use a rewrite rule to change /pages/ in the URL. Being a page, you can literally construct them of either HTML or PHP, thus your limits are endless for the type of page being created.

Here is an addon for that:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/route-changer.447/

@Anthony @Jake
Thanks guys. It looks like I'm going to have to invest some time into learning this stuff. I do something similar on my Textpattern sites using a plugin to make a series of "section" tabs rather than the usual time based structure made by most blogging software.

I have XenForo installed locally so I can get things working as I want them before I go live.

Thanks again for jumping in with such valuable information so quickly. Your help really is very much appreciated.

Template Modification: Footer-Custom
custom footer.webp

SEARCH
Code:
            <xen:hook name="footer_links">

<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'default'">
                    <li><a href="{xen:link 'misc/contact'}" class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}">{xen:phrase contact_us}</a></li>
                <xen:elseif is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'custom'" />
                    <li><a href="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.custom}" {xen:if {$xenOptions.contactUrl.overlay}, 'class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"'}>{xen:phrase contact_us}</a></li>
                </xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$homeLink}"><li><a href="{$homeLink}">{xen:phrase home}</a></li></xen:if>
                <li><a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#navigation">{xen:phrase go_to_top}</a></li>
                <li><a href="{xen:link forums/-/index.rss}" rel="alternate" class="globalFeed" target="_blank"
                    title="{xen:phrase rss_feed_for_x, 'title={$xenOptions.boardTitle}'}">{xen:phrase rss}</a></li>
            </xen:hook>

REPLACE
Code:
            <xen:hook name="footer_links">

<li><a href="http://www.facebook.com/YOUR_PAGE" target="_blank"
                    title="Join Us on Facebook"
                    class="facebook Tooltip"       
                    data-tipclass="social"
                    data-position="top left"
                    data-offsetx="232"
                    data-offsety="-8">Facebook</a></li>
                <li><a href="http://www.twitter.com/YOUR_PROFILE" target="_blank"
                    title="Follow Us on Twitter"
                    class="twitter Tooltip"
                    data-tipclass="social"
                    data-position="top left"
                    data-offsetx="232"
                    data-offsety="-8">Twitter</a></li>

<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'default'">
                    <li><a href="{xen:link 'misc/contact'}" class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}">{xen:phrase contact_us}</a></li>
                <xen:elseif is="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.type} === 'custom'" />
                    <li><a href="{$xenOptions.contactUrl.custom}" {xen:if {$xenOptions.contactUrl.overlay}, 'class="OverlayTrigger" data-overlayOptions="{&quot;fixed&quot;:false}"'}>{xen:phrase contact_us}</a></li>
                </xen:if>
                <xen:if is="{$homeLink}"><li><a href="{$homeLink}">{xen:phrase home}</a></li></xen:if>
                <li><a href="{$requestPaths.requestUri}#navigation">{xen:phrase go_to_top}</a></li>
                <li><a href="{xen:link forums/-/index.rss}" rel="alternate" class="globalFeed" target="_blank"
                    title="{xen:phrase rss_feed_for_x, 'title={$xenOptions.boardTitle}'}">{xen:phrase rss}</a></li>
            </xen:hook>

Top Bottom