Floodings in Europe

I check the weather forecast for München every morning and all I see is rain. My cousin is safe for now but that much rain never bodes well. :(

@captainslater I would imagine the worst is yet to come as the waters work their way down river...

Salzburg/Austria:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Steinbach/Steyr/Upper Austria:

Reminds us on the power of Nature.

Steinbach/Steyr/Upper Austria:

Reminds us on the power of Nature.

Indeed - that water is running very fast - you wouldn't stand a chance if you got caught up in it!! :eek:

_67945490_018192802-1.webp
_67945491_018192962-2.webp

Passau is getting hammered.

Global warming

The issue isn't so much the ice melting or that temps go up a little. We can overall recover if it was that simple.

The issue is sudden changes in weather patterns. Places which were once stable and safe from unusual weather are not safe any more.

Can we just agree to call it Climate Change.

Best of luck to all affected by the flooding, stay safe and don't go doing anything silly! Australia has experienced serious flooding every year for the past 4 years which is very unusual, so we know what you are going through Europe!

Can we just agree to call it Climate Change.

Best of luck to all affected by the flooding, stay safe and don't go doing anything silly! Australia has experienced serious flooding every year for the past 4 years which is very unusual, so we know what you are going through Europe!

There are places on earth that rain a few hundred feet of water each year. But they're over the ocean and thus make no impact on our daily lives. Its also why you don't hear about it, because really, who cares, its over the ocean.... ie... water comes up, water goes back where it comes from. No news.

With "Climate Change" the air and water currents have shifted. And those "spots" are being pushed away from their normal locations. These shirts are only temporary by the seasons for now, but if you haven't noticed each year its worse.... Notably Australia is a good example.

If you're in one of these areas that has been getting flooded..... I would relocate as if it were necessary yesterday. It's not going to stop, but rather continue each year......

Whereas in the UK, where it usually floods and rains, we have brilliant sunshine. It was in the mid 20's here yesterday!

I feel for Europe. We come from an area susceptible to flooding so I understand how people are feeling right now :(

Global warming
Well, no. Not in this case. These floodings - as bad as they are - are local weather events and have little to do with climate change. Floodings along the Danube river are common and happen almost yearly and every now and then, a major one (like the current one) will occur - the last was in 2002.

The Danube is a major river and, together with its many tributary rivers, it draws water from a large mountainous area - essentially the whole eastern alps region where heavy precipitation can happen throughout the year and sometimes it's simply more than the rivers can cope with.
The issue is sudden changes in weather patterns. Places which were once stable and safe from unusual weather are not safe any more.
The alps were never a stable weather area :) You can get all kind of weather mayhem here - snow chaos in winter, major thunderstorms with hail big as eggs, floodings and storms are all possible and relatively common events. We're only safe from the worst things weather can cause: Hurricanes and Tornados.

The worst flooding caused by the Danube in known history happened in 1501 btw... It was a lot worse than the current one.

Having had my own home flooded by rainwater in 2007 I can definitely sympathise with the poor people who's homes are, quite literally, under water. Even now I get twitchy when we get a heavy and prolonged downpour!

Well, no. Not in this case. These floodings - as bad as they are - are local weather events and have little to do with climate change. Floodings along the Danube river are common and happen almost yearly and every now and then, a major one (like the current one) will occur - the last was in 2002.

The Danube is a major river and, together with its many tributary rivers, it draws water from a large mountainous area - essentially the whole eastern alps region where heavy precipitation can happen throughout the year and sometimes it's simply more than the rivers can cope with.

The alps were never a stable weather area :) You can get all kind of weather mayhem here - snow chaos in winter, major thunderstorms with hail big as eggs, floodings and storms are all possible and relatively common events. We're only safe from the worst things weather can cause: Hurricanes and Tornados.

The worst flooding caused by the Danube in known history happened in 1501 btw... It was a lot worse than the current one.

If you're going by only the videos, you would be correct. But there is a lot of flooding in Europe and not all of it is around the alps, which is what I was talking about ..... The larger scale in general.

Yeah the weather has been getting worse and worse over the past several years. Here in the US Winter took forever to get here and then it didn't seem to want to go away. Tornadoes are really bad in the Midwest with Oklahoma City, OK seeming to be getting hit once a week ( I know it was Moore, OK but Moore is pretty much OKC). I know the Midwest is known as tornado alley but it just seems so much worse this year. My prayers to those in Europe that are dealing with the floods.

Top Bottom