Add-on First Unread Post

Jayt

I would like to request an add-on that will allow the latest post links on the main forum pages to link to the first unread post rather than the last post. It appears that an add-on will be needed to accomplish this.

Honestly I don't believe you need an add on. You really just need a template modification that changes the link from linking to the post to linking to the thread/unread. The ability is already there, it's just not utilized in that section.

I would however find it misleading if I click on that thinking it's taking me to a post by one person and in fact takes me to a few posts earlier by someone different.

That's the way I've seen other forum software work. IPB and phpbb anyway. The front page shows the last post info but when you click on the link you see the first unread post. It doesn't make sense to me that you would be taken to the last post and then have to scroll up to resume reading where you left off.

Correction. Phpbb3 starts with a last post link like Xenforo. I used and add-on cal NV Latest Post I think that added a link to the first unread and added the title of the thread to the column. So with the add-on I had both links. But I would still prefer the last unread post link over the newest post link.

It doesn't make sense to me that you would be taken to the last post and then have to scroll up to resume reading where you left off.
Click on the thread title and it will load the thread at the first unread post.

The clue is in the title of the column for the latest post link.
upload_2014-11-10_20-52-57.webp

When I click on the thread title it takes me to the last post, not the first unread post. Does the same thing here too. And I don't see the "Last Message" in the title of the column like you show. Can that be changed?

When I click on the thread title it takes me to the last post, not the first unread post. Does the same thing here too. And I don't see the "Last Message" in the title of the column like you show. Can that be changed?
Clicking on the thread title takes you to the first unread post. Of course if you don't have any unread posts in a thread you will see the last post instead. Just try it on these forums to see.

I'm referring to the link on the main page. It does not take you to the first unread post. It takes you to the last post. I've tried it here as well.

That's the forum view page. It wasn't clear what you were referring to:

on the main forum pages
Pages plural suggested you meant the forum view pages as there are multiple of these but only one forum list page.

Personally I think it would make no sense to link the latest post in the forum view to the first unread post (and do you mean first unread post in that thread or first unread post ie oldest unread post in all of the threads in that forum?)

The first unread post in the most recent thread. Sorry I meant the forum list page if that is the correct title. Or the page you see at www.xenforo.com/community/.

The way it's set up when you click on the link you start at the end of the thread. That makes no sense. Who reads a book backwards? I view it more as a Latest Thread link not a latest post link.

To me it would actually make more sense as a default to link to the first post not the last. But my preference would be the first unread post of that most recent thread.

The first unread post in the most recent thread. Sorry I meant the forum list page if that is the correct title. Or the page you see at www.xenforo.com/community/.

The way it's set up when you click on the link you start at the end of the thread. That makes no sense. Who reads a book backwards? I view it more as a Latest Thread link not a latest post link.
I view it as an indicator to show when a forum was last posted in and that's it. I never actually click on the link. I'll generally always use the New Posts link and then click on the thread titles I want to read, or I'll visit a forum and click on the thread titles from there. In both cases, these take me to the first unread post.

vBulletin 4

2014-12-21%20at%207.30%20PM.png

The left most arrow points to a button that takes you to the first unread post in the thread. Click on the thread title takes you to the first post in the thread. The rightmost arrow shows how you can jump to a particular page in the thread.

The button to the right of the date under "Last Post By" takes you to last post in the thread.

It looks to me like xenforo has all these features, too, except the jump to last post in thread button.

2014-12-21%20at%207.33%20PM.png

However, from the forum page, the behavior is wrong, IMO.

2014-12-21%20at%207.37%20PM.png

Clicking that link takes you to the last post in the thread, when it should take you to the first unread post in the thread.

Top Bottom