First forum.. all but purchased vB then discovered XF..couple ???

ROBD

OK, so like the title says I'm absolutely new to the world of building forums. I'm decent with WP, FTP, CSS, HTML and all that jazz but was considering going for the extra $50 installation fee simply to make the process easier... BUT if it's fairly simple I'd rather save my $50 obviously.

I was hoping someone could link me to the easiest, most straight forward installation directions they know of? My site currently has WP installed with just a few articles on it trying to show up on Google's radar. I assume I will need to uninstall WP first? Will I need to delete any other files before proceeding with the installation? Sorry if these are dumb questions (I'm sure they are) just wanted to double check before making any moves.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thx.

I was hoping someone could link me to the easiest, most straight forward installation directions they know of?

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/install-guide.380/

My site currently has WP installed with just a few articles on it trying to show up on Google's radar. I assume I will need to uninstall WP first? Will I need to delete any other files before proceeding with the installation?

Or at least move WP out of the way, or install XF in a separate directory so it doesn't conflict with WP.

Awesome. Very detailed and helpful write up.

One problem. I created a new directory titled "forum" in the public_html file and now I have to go to "sitename.com/forum" to get to the install screen. This may be an obvious mistake, but I made it. I want the forum to be on "sitename.com" not "sitename.com/forum"... so I guess now I need to delete the folder I just created and reupload to the correct location?? Where exactly should I create a new directory (using filezilla) if I want the forum on my "sitename.com" url??

Again, thanks for the help.

**edit OK so when I looked again the install screen shows up on "sitename.com/forum/install" but "forum/install" is in a light grey while "sitename.com" is black... does this mean that I am only seeing the "/forum" part of the url during the install process? I just want to make sure before I proceed.

One problem. I created a new directory titled "forum" in the public_html file and now I have to go to "sitename.com/forum" to get to the install screen. This may be an obvious mistake, but I made it. I want the forum to be on "sitename.com" not "sitename.com/forum"... so I guess now I need to delete the folder I just created and reupload to the correct location?? Where exactly should I create a new directory (using filezilla) if I want the forum on my "sitename.com" url??

**edit OK so when I looked again the install screen shows up on "sitename.com/forum/install" but "forum/install" is in a light grey while "sitename.com" is black... does this mean that I am only seeing the "/forum" part of the url during the install process? I just want to make sure before I proceed.
What is the link to your site? Maybe I can checkout what issues you seem to be having.

Thanks man, would really rather not post up the link though. Really do appreciate your offer to help though. Hope that doesn't come across wrong.

When I go to "sitename.com".. Where I want my forum to be. I see "Index of/" and three links: "cgi-bin", "forum", and "rob".. I then can click on the "forum" link and it takes me to the install screen. I'm fairly certain I just created the directory for the XenForo "upload" folder in the wrong location. I followed the instructions in the link posted above and made a directory in "public_html" and installed the upload folder there.

I think really the only thing I need to know is where (using filezilla) do I create the directory to upload the file if I want my forum url address to be "sitename.com". The whole site is a forum. It isn't an add on to an existing property. The name of the url is "*********forums.com".

It must be /forum/ because you put XF inside `forum` folder. If you do not want to have `forum` inside the URL, just move XF to `public_html`

Ok...thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know and almost went ahead and did that but there were already 2 folders in "public_html" and didn't know if that would cause issues.

Thanks again.

That worked. Thanks Guys...and I'll be sure to ask any other install questions in the appropriate sub forum as I just now noticed there is one specifically for install issues.

Top Bottom