Few days later, 800 posts later, time for sleep, goodnight

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

It's been an interesting 200 posts per day experience to get familiar with the system, the early adopters (it's good to see familiar faces again), the bugs, and the features.

I've learned a lot, and I have got a good impression what people their first impression is, what they still desire, and the things they don't like.

A few hours of sleep here and there didn't cut it, so it's time to take a break and sleep.

This was fun. And since the summer of 2007, I haven't had this much fun on a community. Alpha 1 feels solid enough as it runs on this site, a good indicator it will do so as a beta on mine in the (near) future.

I have been hoping for a serious forum solution that is very 2010, and not 2001, and Mike and Kier appear to have delivered.

This is obviously going to go places, board owners are stupid to ignore it.

Anyway, goodnight everybody. Keep playing with it, and keep finding bugs, and ask your board users (not just your staff) to come take a look and see what they think of it. I mean, they're the ones that will make or break your site in the end.

/zzz

It's also awesome to see the changes which are being pushed live, like just now I found a button on the WSIWYG editor which removes the TinyMCE type layout for a prettier xf layout. Nice :D

I still say you're just trying to get to that "Addicted" trophy first. :p
On a related note, the whole trophy thing I'm still not sure about as I think it may promote post count padding.

When we do switch I will have to think long and hard whether to implement it.

On a related note, the whole trophy thing I'm still not sure about as I think it may promote post count padding.

if users care enough about trophies to spam, they were doing that to get their post count up anyway

if users care enough about trophies to spam, they were doing that to get their post count up anyway
Not if there's no "reward" for post count.

If you have a standard rank like "member" then it makes no difference how many posts you make.
In fact, this is the only forum I personally know of which doesn't display post count below the avatar.

Once you introduce "prizes" then that would change.

Thankfully it's configurable in the ACP so forum owners can decide for themselves whether to implement it or not.

Floris, I should say I'm surprised at how well the forum is performing with all the posts coming in fairly quickly, but I'm not because of who is developing it. From a "users" point of view, if I didn't know better I would have thought this was already version 1.0, :)

It is addictive, but because as you stated, it's modern, new, and the community is fun to be a part of.

Though you are out-posting me 8 to 1, I may have to decrease the ratio to 8 to 1.2 :p

Back online .. sorry guys :)
Yeah, 72 hours, 10,000 posts - and almost everything is positive first impressions for xenforo :)

Floris, I should say I'm surprised at how well the forum is performing with all the posts coming in fairly quickly, but I'm not because of who is developing it. From a "users" point of view, if I didn't know better I would have thought this was already version 1.0, :)

Well it's perhaps because we dont see everything ;) Like administrive side and so on. There are maybe stuff not yet implemented but from a front end side of view we don't see it.
Back online .. sorry guys :)
Yeah, 72 hours, 10,000 posts - and almost everything is positive first impressions for xenforo :)

So far it deserves it. Not sure wether it's the web 2.0 look and ease of navigation but it attracts interest for the geekies :D (which I am part of ofc)

It's not just based on posts, though. It's also based on likes (and I believe Mike might've mentioned there's other information they can track and tie it to trophies), and I imagine there's a few ways via plugins to make your own custom trophies too. So if you don't want to focus it on just posts, you can.

Top Bottom