Fertilizer Plant explosion

Because they thought it was "just" a fire.

Looks very much like what happened here in The Netherlands:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(2nd/biggest explosion @ 02:00)

It's a small town. In small towns nothing much happens. So he was taking a video of probably the only thing to happen around there in a decade. He had no idea it was going to explode and he was far enough away that he also thought he was safe and not in the way of the authorities working the fire.

So I don't blame this guy at all for what happened to his kid, who I really hope just had temporary hearing loss. And also, his first reaction was, "Are you okay?"

If you see a fire at
  • a fireworks storage facility
  • a bomb making factory
  • a nuclear power plant
  • a fertilised manufacute (not all fertilisers, but assume concentrated ammonimun nitrate, then keep well away)
  • a chemical factory
  • places where explosions are likely to occur
It's probably not a great idea to take your kids & watch (IMO)

Why stop idly and take a video of it, why take your kid.. why wind down the window

why why why

He's got a few million views, was it worth damaging his kids ears and risking both their lives

I don't think he took his kid to watch it...he was driving and pulled over. On the other side of things...if you see the force from the explosion in the video...it is probably a good thing that he was parked and not driving and the act of recording that video has the potential to be an act that saved his and his child's lives.
If you see a fire at
  • a bomb making factory
  • a nuclear power plant
  • a fertilised manufacute (not all fertilisers, but assume concentrated ammonimun nitrate, then keep well away)
  • a chemical factory

Also I don't know the story entirely or all of the details...but when I drive by a building...I don't assume it is a super explosion hazard nor do I know what every building's specific contents are. He really could have thought he was just recording a very large fire.

If you see a fire at
  • a bomb making factory
  • a nuclear power plant
  • a chemical factory

driving past, not knowing what the building is for.

Top Bottom