FBI wants XenForo to have a backdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, we have not seen the text of the law, nor have we seen the actual proposal from the FBI. Thus far, we have the CNET report. When the concept of wiretapping was introduced, the world was a far bigger place with different issues and challenges. Furthermore, we don't have legal precedents on newer technologies such as Facebook, Encryption, Twitter, Forums. These "Law Enforcement functionalities" that the FBI wants does not exist in its present state!

The closest thing we remotely have is wiretapping on traditional phones. That was much more clear cut as there were clear, defined borders. Law enforcement simply needed to record one side of the conversation and you got both sides. With the dawn of the internet. that has changed. The internet is a borderless entity.

Whether we like it or not, we are all entering a new era. Nothing remotely of this nature resembles any legal precedent or any law in any nation before. We are pioneering a new field here.

Thinking about it, would it not boil down to where your forums server box is located, regardless if your a US citizen or not. What if a US person hosted their forum on a server box located in China or Russia? I'm pretty sure the FBI won't be able to access your forum via a back-door because of were it's located in a different county other than US were the FBI have no rights. Your forum (server box) is sitting on foreign soil.

Thinking about it, would it not boil down to where your forums server box is located, regardless if your a US citizen or not. What if a US person hosted their forum on a server box located in China or Russia? I'm pretty sure the FBI won't be able to access your forum via a back-door because of were it's located in a different county other than US were the FBI have no rights. Your forum (server box) is sitting on foreign soil.

Any website which has any of the popular TLDs (com, net, org etc) operated by Verisign and Public Interest Registry (based in US) falls under US jurisdiction irrespective of what the purpose, audience, operator, owner, nationality, server of the site is.

So what if I run a .com forum hosted on a server box located in Russia, can the FBI access my forum via a back-door?

Scrap that, it would use Russian extension.

So in that case, with me being a UK citizen. If this law was passed and I wanted to avoid it having any effect on my forum. I should use a ".co.uk" domain hosted on server located in the UK. Not that I'm bothered about it, just out of interest.

So what if I run a .com forum hosted on a server box located in Russia, can the FBI access my forum via a back-door?

Scrap that, it would use Russian extension.

So in that case, with me being a UK citizen. If this law was passed and I wanted to avoid it having any effect on my forum. I should use a ".co.uk" domain hosted on server located in the UK. Not that I'm bothered about it, just out of interest.

Generally if one country adopts a move and it proves as a valuable tool, other countries adopt similar moves. The only way you're going to be exempted is if you manage to own your own TLD, and live on your own private island

Generally if one country adopts a move and it proves as a valuable tool, other countries adopt similar moves. The only way you're going to be exempted is if you manage to own your own TLD, and live on your own private island
It's still illegal in most Europian countries to carry a gun with you.

Um so what is a backdoor?
In the most simplest none tech way I can explain it....

It is a hidden "door way" into your site that would give someone else complete full control as if they too were the site owner. So whatever you could see, access, or do; so could The FBI or anyone else who is made away of that backdoor (back door).

that will never pass. There is no way. And thankee for the explaination
Pretty much every social network, Instant Messenger protocol, email provider, many service providers, and most ISP's already provide backdoors that the government can use.

They want to make it a requirement now, as a few companies wouldn't provide a backdoor for their use.

I somehow doubt the FBI really care about smaller sites compared to the specific larger entities mentioned, especially when they could easily hack the average website forum in under a minute no doubt. And then this is only related to the US, which is a minute fraction compared to the rest of the worlds population.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom