Fake online members?

billybatz9

Hey guys,

My forum is just starting out and I was wondering what the best way to get my 'guests' to feel that users are online and are using the forum. Usually when the come, i only have about 1 or 2 members online .. so people just bounce right away. Maybe add like fake online users or something?

The biggest thing is content. Without it they have nothing to stay for. I'm finding that it is a long slow process.

You can do post exchanges to get more content as well.

There is a fake member add on for xenForo. I haven't used it and won't. Its just not for me. If you some what busy then it might be "ok" but if your not then when someone clicks whats new it looks odd. They will see a few new posts if any and there could be 25 members online.

What you can do is purchase the who has visited in the last 24 hours add on. You can change the lenght of time as well. With that they might only see one or two people online but they might see that 15 or more have been on in the last 24 hours or longer. So they can see that there are members that have been by lately. You can find that here. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/who-has-visited-in-last-24-hours.1442/

James

Never understand why people add fake online users. Its the last thing I look at when visiting a forum.

Content is king, not faking visitor activity

Never understand why people add fake online users. Its the last thing I look at when visiting a forum.

Content is king, not faking visitor activity

I look at how much content is there but I also look at how many members are online. If the site has 1000000 threads and no active members then the current content will have to answer my questions. If it doesn't I have to move on. If it does I have to move on because it has no members.

As far as the fake users. Some seem to like it and feel it helps. I just feel its not for me.

James

There's no need to fake user activity. The problem is when a huge site with tons of posts has no online users. To me this shows a dead forum. A small forum with no online users isn't unappealing. If the forum receives new content every day then I'd be willing to join. Just make sure that your site get's daily content.

I agree with the above points. People stay/come back for content, not users online. Lurkers are not going to help your community... especially if they are fake :p

it all about content, like everyone before me has said. You also need to make what is appealing to members.

I agree with the above points. People stay/come back for content, not users online. Lurkers are not going to help your community... especially if they are fake :p

Well at the root of things it is the content that keeps people coming back. But is must be active content. When I become addicted to a forum it's because I'm involved in active discussions. If I don't get replies to threads/posts then I'm going to leave. A forum with tons of content but very few active users is not going to be attractive. I don't want to waste my time posting if I'm not going to get a response.

Top Bottom