Fake Googlebot not recognized by Google ip address coming to site?

Brad Padgett

Hello,

I'm receiving what appears to be a googlebot with the ip:

When I look at it's hostname it says this:

16sc04.sentione.com

Not sure where this bot came from or how it can be Google as I've searched and Google doesn't have this ip address.

It says robot: google when viewing who's online. What should I do?

Why do anything. Is the IP address causing a load issue? Someone may be indexing the site but there is nothing you can do to stop them. Blocking browser strings, ip addresses and hostnames usually causes them to use other random providers and normal strings.

Bots scraping and republishing your site content, eating up bandwidth, pushing your server resources. trying to find security vulnerabilities, spammer bots are an issue you should keep a close eye on.

There are things you can do to stop them. Sometimes all it takes is a IP range ban. DragonByteTech Security is useful in blocking bots, as it has Bad Behavior blacklisting.

https://sentione.com/pricing
This bot indexes your content and can cost you significant amounts of bandwidth and some server resources.
They then charge their customers for alerts about your content. Such companies often offer online marketing services which basically includes registering shilling accounts to promote a brand. Which likely happens after such alerts are sent. They identify 'opinion leaders' which may well lead to your ranking members getting approached to spam for them.

So basically you get to pay for them making money off your content. That doesn't seem fair to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'm going to block it as I have plenty of bandwidth for my site but I appreciate all the tips. I thought possibly somehow it had something to do with google but the above poster made it clear what the ip address was for. Thanks for the information. I'll keep all this in mind.

Anyways I appreciate the help.

- Brad

Top Bottom