Facebook to Acquire Instagram for 1 Billion....

Facebook acquired instagram because they were a medium term threat to be an alternative to facebook.
They might try to monetize it, but that isn't why they bought it.

Facebook acquired instagram because they were a medium term threat to be an alternative to facebook.
They might try to monetize it, but that isn't why they bought it.
I'm pretty sure it was more to make Facebook look better in the eyes of stock holders, since the acquisition was right before Facebook stock went public. I don't see how Instagram was in any way a threat to Facebook.

Facebook acquired instagram because they were a medium term threat to be an alternative to facebook. Twitter.
Fixed.

A lot of companies are looking for the next facebook, or the next twitter right now. Facebook has the best of two worlds. Microsoft, for example wanted to buy Twitter. Mark Zuckerberg recently, at an investor-backed Venture Capital firm (Ycombiner) conference in Stanford University (here in Palo Alto), said that if he didn't found FB, he'd be working at Microsoft. So, I think Instagram was meant to be FB's "cake" to sell.

I'm pretty sure it was more to make Facebook look better in the eyes of stock holders, since the acquisition was right before Facebook stock went public.
If anything, I think potential average joe investors (like me) were irked that Facebook threw away a billion dollars. The media coverage at the time portrayed Zuckerberg's Instagram purchase as foolish, somewhat souring investors to his future ability to steer Facebook past the IPO stage.
I don't see how Instagram was in any way a threat to Facebook.
# Users = Amount of Power.
Once you have the users, you can always add Facebook-like features - and now you are a Facebook competitor. Facebook makes a few wrong moves (ie. Security breaches) and people move over to Instagram full time.

SneakyDave: good example (Twitter)

http://www.businessinsider.com/instagram-was-facebooks-biggest-threat-2012-4?op=1

Once you have the users, you can always add Facebook-like features - and now you are a Facebook competitor. Facebook makes a few wrong moves (ie. Security breaches) and people move over to Instagram full time.
So, in other words: "Hey guys, come back to facebook!"

Top Bottom