ez bounce management problems with SMTP?

snoopy5

Hi

I know this is not really what belongs to XF, but there re so many ex vb users here, That they might have run into the same problem but could solve it. So please forgive me to ask this here (I did already in vbulletin.org, but noone responds)

I convert more and more of my vb forums into xf forums. Since the handling of bounced emails in XF is not really existing, I want to make sure that all invalid email addresses are sorted out before I import the vb forum into XF.

Normally I send my vb emails out with the internal php mail function. That works great with the EZ addon. The link is visible in every bounced email and I click on it and the account is deactivated/moved to another usergroup.

But yesterday, I sent 14.000 emails out with the setting SMTP in vb 3.8x. The emails went through, but none of the bounced emails had the EZ link in it. So I can not deactivate them befor teh XF import. With 700 bounced emails this is no fun (n)

Did anybody of you had the same problem before and could find a solution? I need the SMTP function to send it out. My webhoster does not allow me this with the php function anymore.

So How do I get this EZ link again in the bounced emails while sending with SMTP?

Perhaps try a different approach - have a look at Mandrill from the guys at MailChimp.

You can send via SMTP or via their API and it tracks all emails and gives reports on which mails bounced and such.

You can also set up web hooks with a call-back URL where it can send notifications of bounced emails for automatic management of bad email addresses in your user database.

Takes a bit of programming, but I've now replaced EZ bounce with a completely automated system using Mandrill for my old vB forums.

I also have a daily email go out to members who have not been active in the past 30, 60 or 90 days (then I ignore them after that), which also helps with cleaning out old addresses which are no longer valid without sending to thousands of users all at once.

I've yet to port it to XenForo, but that's on my list of things to do in the next month or so.

You can also set up web hooks with a call-back URL where it can send notifications of bounced emails for automatic management of bad email addresses in your user database.

Takes a bit of programming, but I've now replaced EZ bounce with a completely automated system using Mandrill for my old vB forums.

Would it be possible to do something similar with Xenforo and Phplists?

The reason why I want to use the internatl xenforo system (and with vbthe EZ bounce Managament) is, that thanks to this, I always have the most current email address of my users for the forum.

I just do not know how others are updating the Xenforo or vb user database as soon as the use external software for the mailing. I do not want to compare every week one by one and update this manually in the forum database.

I do not want to compare every week one by one and update this manually in the forum database.
Seems like Mandrill could be automatic.
Ez bounce management is definitely not automatic.

PHPlist is for sending and receiving email from one location. It might not play nice with another software doing the sending.

I've just started using Mandrill for my Xenforo install. So far so good.

If an e-mail bounces, I'm manually setting the user to be "Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation (From Edit)" to stop them getting any further e-mails until they sort it out themselves.

Top Bottom