RM 1.0 External Download URL

grantus

I just purchased the Resource Manager. I'd like to add a resource where the download URL is outside of my site's root. I used to use my code (not related to Xenforo) where it would serve up the file from outside the root. How can I do this with Xenforo?

Right now the files I want to add to the resources are located /home/mysite/downloads/. Obviously I can't put a URL to that location, so would I have to put them inside the public_html? Is it safe to put them there? Will people be able to see where the download is coming from?

The reason why I have them outside of the root is for security purposes so people can't link to the files without paying.

You would need a script that initiates a download from the files outside if root. There is no URL you can use, and yes, if you use external downloads they will be able to see the location.

Okay so let's say I have files in site.com/downloads - they will be able to see where that location is when they go to download the files?

I don't understand how it's used where it says "external purchase or download". If someone purchases a file that I have in /downloads, then how are those files protected?

The system doesn't handle purchasing or file management using the external purchase / download. Once you hit external, the resource manager cannot help you much.

External downloads work just as links, ie, you go to this location to retrieve it. They are basically just listings in the Resource Manager.

Ok I get it. So basically:
  • I can attach a file for regular download
  • Put an external link for regular download (on my own page)
  • Put an external link for paid download (on my own page with a payment system)
Do you know if there will be a payment integration in future releases?

Yes, that is the basic premise of an external download. I do not know road maps, but there are several suggestions related to payment gateways.

Top Bottom