Lack of interest Extend Delay of Fading Alerts

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Onimua

For a handful of alerts (say 1-5) it's easy to see which ones are marked "new", but after being away for a few hours and you have 10 or more (I came back to find 13 waiting for me), I only got half-way down the list before the yellow highlight faded and then it was hard to tell which was new since my last visit and the ones that were there before that.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I completely agree. In fact, I see no reason the yellow should go away at all.

Any reasoning behind this?

:confused:

I do, because basically every time you mark it read, it's old+new the next time you go there. I wouldn't mind to see what sort of "pops up" in the alert box, drawing attention to what's really new since the last time I clicked it.

How do these yellow stars work?
I'm sorry (must be my age ;)), but I still don't get it.

I don't get it either. Presumably with the new Alert notification options introduced today (thank you!) the only Alerts that should show up are the Alerts people are really interested in.

The 'Your News Feed' system where people can hide Alerts would be perfect. No need for yellow background or stars. Clicking on the Alerts could work as it does now show the drop down list, then go to the option at the bottom to show all Alerts then 'Hide' the ones people don't care about and reset the Alert number to zero in the upper right hand corner, like it does now.

The only thing 'time based' could be the alerts being deleted at the end of the long timeout set by the admin regarding the database thread marking system, which is currently set to 10 days at the moment.

I hope my suggestion/explanation was worded clearly.

How do these yellow stars work?

I'm sorry (must be my age ;)), but I still don't get it. I went to XenForo's today and had 16 new Alerts. I also had 16 new yellow stars on them. Then... I spend more then 10 minutes writing a reply to a thread that I was Alerted on. Then I went back to my Alerts (did I do a browser-refresh ... I can't remember) and all the yellow stars where gone. How can I see after 10 minutes which Alerts are new and I didn't read yet?

If we are already this confused about them, there needs to be a better, more clear way to handle this? See also this related suggestion: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...trl-left-click.1662/

When I first log in for the day, I click "Your Account" -- that shows a full list of alerts there, and then open each link in a separate tab. That's really useful when you have more then 6 or so alerts, otherwise I use the Alerts tab with no problem while I browse throughout the day (and I usually start the day with 20+ or so waiting for me).

Perhaps this thread will help you, as I posted this before we had the yellow start to help mark unread alerts for a longer period of time: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/small-tip-getting-around-marking-a-lot-of-alerts-read.755/

Top Bottom