Existing forum into two ( simulated)forums on same domain.

WCFA

Is it possible to: take and Existing forum into two ( simulated)forums on same domain?

I am running the 1.4.5 with the resources addon. Here is what my vision but not sure how to work it.
I would like to create a main page which I know how to do pretty easily and then have topic areas that would go to the area on the forum, but not allow other categories to be seen.

Our site is expanding from a simple enthusiast group, to many more topics. The problem is many topics
I would add just simply add to the forum just do not fit and should be chosen from a main page not scrolled to. I have considered another domain but then it seems over kill. SMF has this addon that allows a person to create a sub forum that only shows the created categories you want in that area. Its like having two forums but really is making one category area seen and another not depending on your access.

To help in case this doesn't make sense .

Imagine you have a Hunting site its all about outdoors and even those activities, you then find many of these members are into Ham radios, and electronics. Using a traditional forum structure would not necessarily tell members that down on the list there is a radio area. I am still learning the power of XF a year later and I know resources does allot that I am not using it for. Just to be clear I am not wanting to add 100 new topics.
Just have a better organized topic entrance to the category, and yes I realize I could just link it to that area, but
would like the process to appear intentional not just mapped there.

I tried to give as much detail hope this helps, is it possible ? No idea. I find people splitting to other domains
but that not what we need as we will have more topics just not enough to justify new domains. But then are to many to keep clean on the structure I have.

Because it would require dual logins? as I understand it you can not install XF twice even on the same server domain nameand if one could
still combining a database and the amount of work that ends up really being a hidden redirect seems over kill.
Maybe I am wrong but your question didnt seem to lead me to where you were inquiring ?

Because it would require dual logins? as I understand it you can not install XF twice even on the same server domain nameand if one could
still combining a database and the amount of work that ends up really being a hidden redirect seems over kill.
Maybe I am wrong but your question didnt seem to lead me to where you were inquiring ?
I think that if the second topic is gaining popularity, it might be worth it to split it off to another forum instance in the long run. There's a Mutisite system addon (paid) and an APIOAuth addon (free) to keep the two forums' login connected.

If you have to contain the two areas in the same forum, you can just design your forum listing layout differently so people will instantly see them; for example Waindigo's Forum List Tabs addon lets you do that.

Thank you for the help help I will check this stuff out :)
I think part of what I see happening in our group is maybe even having a few extra topics
but I will check out the information you gave, Thank you.

Top Bottom