1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Travis, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Travis

Travis Active Member

Ok guys,I'm asking here as I am HOPELESS with all the technical stuff. I am after some help with creating an excel Formula to speed up a process that I do in generating overnight schedule for a community tv station. Here's an example of how the document is set up:

Column B(Blue) features the program starting time. Column C (Green) features the programs end time and Column D(Red) Features the program running time. What I do currently is take the program start time(B) and manually work out the finish time i.e Program A starts at 01:00 and runs for 24 minutes. Therefore,the finishing time is 01:24.

What I want to know is:

A) Is there a formula I can use that will take the program start time and add the program running time to it,to generate the finishing time?
    B) If there is a formula for A, Is there a way to get the result in hours (i.e Program A starts at 01:00 and goes for 94 minutes. would there be a way for the above formula to tell me the finishing time exactly,instead of just telling me 01:94?)

Is there a way? or am I just dreaming?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S Sorry about the really long post!
  2. James

James Well-Known Member

3. Travis

Travis Active Member

That seems helpful. Thanks :)

Does anyone know how to get it to consider hours now? i.e. a show starts at 1.30 and goes for 50 minutes. The Result is 51.30 when it should be 2.20.

Thanks Guys! :) You don't know how much work this is going to save me!
  4. James

James Well-Known Member

This worked for me:
    Format your cells as time.
    Show Start - Duration - Show End
    1:30 - 0:50 - =SUM(CELL1+CELL2)
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You may need to format your cells - I usually use custom formatting and something like h:mm

Edit: Ninja'ed :D
  6. James

James Well-Known Member

Here's my end result:
  7. Travis

Travis Active Member

hmm.. ok,I think I will look at this tomorrow. I feel I am too tired tonight.

Thanks James and Brogan,although I might be pestering you again tomorrow!
  8. James

James Well-Known Member

I'll provide my step-by-step for you, using Microsoft Excel 2010 Starter and the 24-hour time format:

#1 - Set up your layout (I'm using Start Time | Duration | End Time)
    #2 - Highlight all your cells that will hold the times stated above.
    #3 - Right click -> format cells -> set category to time and select the time HH:MM:SS (usually shows with asterisk)
    #4 - Set start time cell = 13:30, Set duration = 0:50, Set end time = =SUM(A2+B2)