Ever had one of those days?

TPerry

Just finished doing a fresh install of Debian on my home server. Got everything configured (ssh, nginx, rsync for all the DB's and forum structures on my production servers to be pulled in, you know - all that jazz). Exported my DB's from my production sites. Got lazy and instead of SSH'ing into the home server I just use phpMyAdmin to drop the database that was no longer (yeah right) needed. Then I happened to look in the address bar... crud - dropped the actual production server DB instead of the developer DB (both have the same DB name).
Did I mention I DID have a 5 minute old backup.
Right after I pressed the button to drop the tables I looked at the address bar and got that sinking feeling.

Now, kids... pay attention.... backups WILL save your bacon when you are doing major stuff.

Last edited:
Step #1 - change the theme for my developmental server phpMyAdmin to something god-awful garish. :coffee:
Good idea.

I make it point to never use the same name for the test site or the live site. Test site database was even called, TEST_BETA and I think the user was JUNK_USER

Good idea.

I make it point to never use the same name for the test site or the live site. Test site database was even called, TEST_BETA and I think the user was JUNK_USER
Normally I did that also... but wanted to exactly duplicate the layout as on the live site. :)

I prefer to work in different browsers because of this issue. There used to be an extension for Firefox years ago that allowed you to color code tabs on the fly. Welcome to the gumby club, Tracy.

Because I get a little punch drunk working late at night, I made this subtle change to my dev site... :cautious: Saved me a few times switching between browsers/tabs...

upload_2013-10-16_9-37-37.webp

Because I get a little punch drunk working late at night, I made this subtle change to my dev site... :cautious: Saved me a few times switching between browsers/tabs...

View attachment 59155
Yeah, but the problem was... I wasn't on the forum itself - but in phpMyAdmin, which WAS on the live site. I've done a horrible looking style for it now on the local server. :ROFLMAO:

Try waking up a bit late the day you have an intercontinental flight, halfway to the airport you discover you forgot your passport, have to turn around and rebook your flight, only to discover you have to make it to reach the connections . Posting this from the flight, but not a good start of the day :-(

Honestly I can say all that has happened to me, except the last few flights I've taken have been private so I wasn't in trouble with the time issue. I've once heard "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" and realized I was living the day like a sitcom character.

Last time I made a forum DB backup/backup of anything forum related was when I used <insert that other software here> *cringes*

Last time I made a forum DB backup/backup of anything forum related was when I used <insert that other software here> *cringes*
I've got it pulling into 6 different places now (the two actual servers back each other up, the VPS that I just got, my Mac at home, my Dell server at home and the VPS that runs my blogs). Using rsync the backups (besides the initial one) doesn't take much time at all - nor bandwidth.
Any time I'm going to do something major to the system I always SSH in and do a DB dump of the forum I'm going to be working on as well as make a copy of the web site directory structure on the actual server I'm working on. Normally I do most of my stuff through SSH that is mysql or web server related but had gotten lazy.

Top Bottom