Add-on Events Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you consider the RM less than full featured because you can't create a resource from a thread?

Do you consider the RM less than full featured because you can't create a resource from a thread?
I don't have a license for the RM, but if I did, and if I would have a case to use it, yes, that is correct.
When you wanted to make public that you work on your add-on, what feature of xenforo did you use? -> Threads.
Threads are what forums are made of. And threads are always the 1st option in using a forum. So as a user, I expect that as a default option.

When you want to create a poll, do you go to the "Polls" tab (which doesn't exist) and create from there your poll and then attach a thread to it? Or do you just go to the thread creation process and use the poll settings?

Why do you think nobody is using the gallery stuff, and those other stuff which needs an extra tab and extra handling of things? People are lazy, people stick to what they know and people want it fast. Nothing beats a thread when it comes to that (on a forum).

You don't have to agree. As I said, I made the wrong assumption. Not a big deal, I don't want to fill this thread with my philosophy.

@Clickfinity what add-on do you currently use?

I installed AndyB's Calendar but haven't put it into use because it's lacking a few features and the navigation uses drop-down selectors and not <Prev / Next> buttons (which makes the nav quite clunky); it also lacks a [bd] Widget sidebar component which would be ideal for me as I intend to use it to feature up-coming cycle rides and related events.

What I do like about Andy's add-on is that you can tag an existing thread to add it to the calendar and it would be useful if you could do it both ways - add an event to the calendar and have it create a thread in a forum you nominate, and be able to take an existing thread and create an event from it to be added to the calendar; best of both worlds. :)

May I also take the opportunity to suggest (if it hasn't been already) event "types" that could be individually styled like prefixes - using cycle rides as an example, it would be nice of Road rides could maybe have a blue background/style, MTB red, Sportive in green, Audax in yellow, etc. - so that styling could be brought into the mix to help identify the "type" of event in the list. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Looking forward to this, top job @Jeremy I'm currently using XenAtendo and this is a definite upgrade to that.

If you need any Beta testers I'll be more than happy.

Very nice @Jeremy, 2 most important things I was looking into an events calendar is the possibility of allowing a certain usergroup to add events and the side widget to show today's and/or upcoming events, If we can get that which I know one is already part of it, you have a future buyer here.

Wow! This looks fantastic :)

The system has the ability to create a discussion thread for each event in a designated forum and display it with the event.
How does this function? The event creator picks from a list of forums that admin have designated can be used for events.
Is it (can it) be mandatory that a thread is created when an event is created?

There is no planned upcoming events view, no.
The most needed view will be agenda view.
Most calendars only have a smaller number of events. If you don't have an agenda view things look sparse.

Agreed with Digital Doctor.

Some other features that would be terrific;
  • Prefix selection, with that displayed on the calendars.
  • Prefix selection can designate which forum the event thread is created in
  • For the designated event forum(s), when browsing the forum change (or redirect) the 'Create Thread' button to creation of an event
  • Ability to have an Event Start and Event End, with the Google Map showing both the start and end locations.
  • Event Creator can replace the (automatic?) Google Map, with a Google Map they created themselves showing route
Example SQL script for how to import existing XenAtendo events?

Beta 1 doesn't have the ability to create threads, that's going to be in 1.0 tho. Right now, you can associate threads to events. But the planned feature is a single designated forum for created threads, but creating threads isn't required per event (and is an option when creating the thread). There is no mandatory creation requirement, but you could easily accomplish it.

For the rest of the features, please create suggestion threads on my site for proper tracking (trust me, they'll get lost as posts).

Importers aren't planned, but aren't off the table right now.

Last edited:
Right now, you can associate threads to events. But the planned feature is a single designated forum for created threads, but creating threads isn't required per event (and is an option when creating the thread).
So all the threads' events will be created in a single predefined forum node? Or it will be possible to select from different forum nodes?

As it stands, single node. However, you can associate threads from any forum post-creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom