Add-on Events Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

in memoriam 1991-2020
So, I made a reference to this a while ago, but I was experimenting and came up with something I quite like (and need / could use for my site personally). And yes, that's an Events Calendar. Full featured, and I have enough that I'm willing to show some screenshots off.

I'll just note that visual polish hasn't been accomplished yet. ;)

The main page is a full fledged calendar that has multiple views: month, week, and day. All of this is accomplished without page reloads (via a very handy JS library) and navigation can occur in single intervals (if in week, view go ahead/back a week, etc.), yearly intervals, or a jump to today. Events are loaded in via an AJAX events feed. It also includes a sub-set of featured events above the main calendar.

Month view (default):
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 1.09.30 AM.webp

Week view:
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 1.10.16 AM.webp

Day view:
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 1.10.07 AM.webp

Creating events is rather simple as of right now (future plans to expand this section):
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 1.11.29 AM.webp

As you can see from the above screenshot several features become apparent. If an event has no end date, it becomes an all day event in the system. The system has the ability to create a discussion thread for each event in a designated forum and display it with the event. And multiple people can manage an event, controlled by the event owner. This allows me to create an event for a homework assignment for my students, and allow the class professor to also manage the event and change the date, description, etc. However, anything related to the event (likes, warnings, etc.) are associated with the event owner. And of course, the event description can utilize full BBCode styling to allow maximum flexibility.

Event View:
Screen Shot 2015-05-28 at 1.10.56 AM.webp

This is the event view, and as you can see, there's an RSVP / Event system! Event owners will also be able to invite others to the event and they'll receive an alert.

List of planned features for the v1 release:
  • Calendar view
  • Completely controlled via permissions
  • Warn, report, spam clean, like events
  • Approve/Unapprove Events
  • Event alerts
  • Search events (event description & title)
  • Auto-thread creation
  • RSVP / Attendees list
  • Event location w/ Google Maps integration
  • Featured Events
Looking forward to feedback and the release of this. :)

Beta licenses can be purchased at http://Dentel.zone. First legit release should be this weekend with a basic set of features.

Last edited:
So, I made a reference to this a while ago, but I was experimenting and came up with something I quite like (and need / could use for my site personally). And yes, that's an Events Calendar. Full featured, and I have enough that I'm willing to show some screenshots off.

I'll just note that visual polish hasn't been accomplished yet. ;)

The main page is a full fledged calendar that has multiple views: month, week, and day. All of this is accomplished without page reloads (via a very handy JS library) and navigation can occur in single intervals (if in week, view go ahead/back a week, etc.), yearly intervals, or a jump to today. Events are loaded in via an AJAX events feed. It also includes a sub-set of featured events above the main calendar.

Month view (default):
View attachment 107235

Week view:
View attachment 107236

Day view:
View attachment 107237

Creating events is rather simple as of right now (future plans to expand this section):
View attachment 107238

As you can see from the above screenshot several features become apparent. If an event has no end date, it becomes an all day event in the system. The system has the ability to create a discussion thread for each event in a designated forum and display it with the event. And multiple people can manage an event, controlled by the event owner. This allows me to create an event for a homework assignment for my students, and allow the class professor to also manage the event and change the date, description, etc. However, anything related to the event (likes, warnings, etc.) are associated with the event owner. And of course, the event description can utilize full BBCode styling to allow maximum flexibility.

Event View:
View attachment 107239

This is the event view, and as you can see, there's an RSVP / Event system! Event owners will also be able to invite others to the event and they'll receive an alert.

List of planned features for the v1 release:
  • Calendar view
  • Completely controlled via permissions
  • Warn, report, spam clean, like events
  • Approve/Unapprove Events
  • Event alerts
  • Search events (event description & title)
  • Auto-thread creation
  • RSVP / Attendees list
  • Event location w/ Google Maps integration
  • Featured Events
Looking forward to feedback and the release of this. :)

Would it be possible to disable the location map?

Could be used to greatly organize online stuff as well like stream events and other things that don't have a physical location which seems to be the one thing that other event calendars don't do well.

Not entering a location (which isn't a required field) will disable the map on the display. Also, not supplying the required API key from Google will disable the map.

Not entering a location (which isn't a required field) will disable the map on the display. Also, not supplying the required API key from Google will disable the map.

Fantastic news!

Really excited for this then. Don't suppose you can add the functionality of being able to add an image instead of a google map?

So for example, one could add a twitch stream logo.

But considering the description can contain BBCodes, you could IMG link it regardless. :)

Will there be an events tab in user profiles - maybe detailing what events they are attending (with permission to make attendance privacy, if people don't want others to know they're going to something?) Not that I'm secretive or anything :D

Meh. There's multiple avenues to think of... Events you're attending? Events you might attend? Events that you created? Events that you are an administrator of?

That's really great news! I wanted to integrate Andys Calendar but am missing features.

With yours I especially like the Google Maps integration, the alerts, and that you can create a thread in a specific forum (at Andys calendar its turned around, threads are events).
You write its auto-thread creation, but will it be manually initiated? Imagine 3000-5000 events per year (yes, I do have that much). If for every event an empty thread is created, one has 3000-5000 empty threads, every year. It would be better, that anybody (so the owner of an event as well as visitors) are able to mark an event in calendar and so create a thread or jump to the already existing thread (if anybody did it before). This way, only threads are created, when visitors want to discuss on it. There could be a mark or icon at the event in calendar listing if a thread exists.

Another point: I really, really would need an area/location search function. Will your search be able to visualize or search for cities or zip-codes? With 3000-5000 events just "listed", almost no one is able to find an event nearby. So any function, that helps to show where events are, would be awesome.

Last: when do you think you could publish a first version? Weeks or +3 months? BTW - I would pay for an vB 3 importer ;)

Really fantastic, thanks a lot!

Release, unknown.

Searching hasn't been written yet so not certain on that. As for thread creation, glance at the screenshots. Works similar to resources.

This is actually great news I didn't expect. I always complained about that xenforo lacks a full featured calendar system. There are 3 calendar add-ons (AndyB's is actually good) but all of them are missing things. So please release this add-on.

Here are some suggestions (I hope it is ok):
- I hope the "creating event" page is not static, so we can choose our order of fields and perhaps create our custom fields (custom questions). For example I'd like to move the description field (the wysiwyg editor) to the bottom and put also a custom question like "Time Zone".
- I hope that you can use a date picker and a time picker for the date/time fields.
- I hope fully-phrased
- Very important is a sidebar widget (I hope working with widget framework and with AndyB's), like upcoming events, todays events, etc.
- Maybe besides the month view / calendar view an "upcoming events" view?
- Node and usergroup based permissions.

These are some suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.

I could definitely find a use for this on CycleChat so please let us know when it's released. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

This is actually great news I didn't expect. I always complained about that xenforo lacks a full featured calendar system. There are 3 calendar add-ons (AndyB's is actually good) but all of them are missing things. So please release this add-on.

Here are some suggestions (I hope it is ok):
- I hope the "creating event" page is not static, so we can choose our order of fields and perhaps create our custom fields (custom questions). For example I'd like to move the description field (the wysiwyg editor) to the bottom and put also a custom question like "Time Zone".
- I hope that you can use a date picker and a time picker for the date/time fields.
- I hope fully-phrased
- Very important is a sidebar widget (I hope working with widget framework and with AndyB's), like upcoming events, todays events, etc.
- Maybe besides the month view / calendar view an "upcoming events" view?
- Node and usergroup based permissions.

These are some suggestions I can think of off the top of my head.
The page is static in HTML, you will be free to edit the template.

There is no particular time zone argument or custom fields as of this planned release.

A mini widget in the side bar is most likely going to happen. But I don't support 3rd party add-ons so someone will need to make widgets compatible with frameworks.

There is no individual upcoming events view planned at this time.

Why would you need node permissions for events? And as already stated, this is completely controlled by permissions.

Why would you need node permissions for events? And as already stated, this is completely controlled by permissions.
I'm not sure how you exactly planned your event creation process. But if you allow creating events through threads (in nodes), it would be nice to control over this.

Creating events is done via the calendar. There is a picture in the first post....
I've seen that. But you were talking about a full-featured calendar add-on. So, yes, the creation of events is done via the calendar. But I thought you also might be able to add existing threads to the calendar and/or while creating a thread. I based my assumption on that you are working on a full-featured calendar add-on. I shouldn't have done that. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this and hope you extend this add-on after the version 1 a bit more. That's my feedback and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom