EU pushes forward on law against hate speech, illegal content. Hosting companies required to take websites offline

No, that is actually the definition of hate speech in many countries. The big difference is that it is explicitly about dangerous speech directed towards groups based on bigotry, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.

Another big thing is that the US law makes it incredibly difficult to prosecute for threats of violence and it needs to be an explicit, direct threat of violence. This allows you to effectively incite violence provided you never explicitly say something like "We need to go out into the streets and start executing the Muslims". You're absolutely totally allowed to build dangerous narratives that inevitably lead to violence.

Your founding fathers were also slave owners... Just because they did or believed in something does not automatically make it just, good, and sane government policy 230 years later, lol.

The first amendment was written in an era prior to quick, easy, and mass communication—even the damn telegraph was not invented yet. While words have obviously had tremendous power since the dawn of time, things are very different now that you have the ability to mass spread violent propaganda in a matter of seconds.

You are lumping two things together. Not all hate speech is threatening and not all threats are against a protected class. You can threaten to kill people because they drive a certain car. American law has been clear for over 240 years. You can speak out against a group and wish death upon them. It is only when you begin to act upon it should it be illegal. Something tells me you live in a country where a lot of people "hate" Americans. Are you suggesting they should all be jailed?

You are lumping two things together. Not all hate speech is threatening and not all threats are against a protected class. You can threaten to kill people because they drive a certain car. American law has been clear for over 240 years. You can speak out against a group and wish death upon them. It is only when you begin to act upon it should it be illegal.

I think you're having some reading comprehension troubles. I am aware that not all threats are against a protected class, which is exactly why I clarified that most definitions of hate speech require some form of bigotry as the basis of the threats.

And, again, I understand that American law says incredibly stupid things. But, A. this thread wasn't even about the United States to begin with but B. that's exactly why I already addressed that in the exact post you're responding to.

Let me ask you, why is, in your words, "wishing death upon people" something that is good for society?

Something tells me you live in a country where a lot of people "hate" Americans. Are you suggesting they should all be jailed?

In Russia?... Where do you think I live, lol? Many think you're silly, very silly, but I have literally never seen a Russian incite or encourage violence against Americans.

I don't understand where the idea that memes became illegal comes from. Actual copyright hasn't changed, merely how it is to be enforced? If they were to be affected, they were illegal from the very start.

Not as stupid as European laws you have no say in, hence these threads where memes became illegal etc 😆

No say?

Sure, if you're referring to Americans, yes, you have no say (why would you?), but you also don't have to enforce EU law. You're only really going to be expected to follow it if you want access to European markets. If you block all of Europe from accessing your website and do absolutely no business there, feel free to continue as before. If you do want access to Europe, well, obviously you have to follow their laws..?

If you're referring to Europeans themselves, then you're actually just spewing brexit propaganda. Each country not only voted to join the EU, but also continues to vote on MEPs.

The EU is pushing forward on the D.S.A. The new act seeks to define online platforms’ responsibility as gatekeepers to protect from illegal or harmful content, hate speech, fake news. The EU is seeking feedback from communities, but it doesnt seem that forum admins are involved yet.

Related suggestion:

Freedom of speech shall not hinder other people's freedom of not receiving unreasonable hatreds.

Hate speech, including online anonymous slandering, just forced Kimura Hana (a famous female boxer)'s suicide in Japan.

----

Last edited by a moderator:
Freedom of speech shall not hinder other people's freedom of not receiving unreasonable hatreds.

Hate speech, including online anonymous slandering, just forced Kimura Hana (a famous female boxer)'s suicide in Japan.

----
don't blame free speech for mental weakness.

I will give you an example. Imagine if you copped some racial abuse from some loose cannon who thinks it is ok to do this.
Hate speech is horrid. It needs to be removed because of how disgusting it is.

Top Bottom