EU proposes to make site owners responsible for identifying copyrighted material

jauburn

This proposal, if enacted, would make running many kinds of forums (and other Web sites) too much of a hassle and more of a potential legal liability than they already are:

“Today’s proposal suggests that works including text, video, images and more must be filtered by online services. This would effectively turn the internet into a place where everything uploaded to the web must be cleared by lawyers before it can find an audience,” warned Atkinson.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/14/eu-digital-copyright-reform-proposals-slammed-as-regressive/

This could be a good reason to emigrate in another continent. :)

If your forum/internet site reaches the EU, then it's my understanding that it must comply with EU laws. So I don't think physically "emigrating" will help.

I'm still waiting for the EU to kill its idiotic cookie law. This latest brain fart is equally stupid.

I'm still waiting for the EU to kill its idiotic cookie law. This latest brain fart is equally stupid.

The latest brain fart is more than equally stupid. It's something that will (or should) keep social site owners up at night without a round-the-clock strategy to monitor content. Ultimately we all have to ask ourselves, "Is this really worth all the time and money I'm putting in?" Hang around long enough, and it'll be a matter of when, not if, some internet nutcase (and the internet is full of them, as we all know, for where else can they go?) throws a suit at you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Just as I am not going to put up any moronic cookie warning, I am also not going to comply with that brain fart. Both can result in fines. Maybe the most recent one is more idiotic because we cant comply even if we wanted to. Which I don't.

Reactions: gfc
If your forum/internet site reaches the EU, then it's my understanding that it must comply with EU laws. So I don't think physically "emigrating" will help.
Nah I am an American citizen. If a country doesn't want their citizens to view content as my country allows me to deliver it, they need to be adults and tell their people that for what it is and let them know that they will be censoring their internet like China and see how their people react to the reality of that.

Long hair, don't care, not my problem. I will leave the useless laws of the EU to the EU because I have enough of those in my own country to worry about.

Nah I am an American citizen. If a country doesn't want their citizens to view content as my country allows me to deliver it,

Are you sure that your country's copyright laws allow you to publish images for which someone else holds the rights (without their permission). The fact that everyone does it gets away with it is not so much the issue, as what would happen if the rightsholders suddenly decided to prosecute some example cases, inspired by the European court ruling.

Nah I am an American citizen. If a country doesn't want their citizens to view content as my country allows me to deliver it, they need to be adults and tell their people that for what it is and let them know that they will be censoring their internet like China and see how their people react to the reality of that.

Long hair, don't care, not my problem. I will leave the useless laws of the EU to the EU because I have enough of those in my own country to worry about.
Still required to comply with them if your content reaches EU services. The same way a US company is required to follow laws on EU MOSS taxation (which literally nobody does). It's illegal either way, but I doubt they're gonna go after a forum for it. It's not worth their time or effort.

Still required to comply with them if your content reaches EU services. The same way a US company is required to follow laws on EU MOSS taxation (which literally nobody does). It's illegal either way, but I doubt they're gonna go after a forum for it. It's not worth their time or effort.
Nope, it is most definitely not my problem and I refuse to comply with non laws and I ensure you that if my content which is created and hosted in the United States has page requests coming from all ends of the world, it is not my responsibility to play babysitter for the other 194 nations in the world.

Pay attention here: If they do not want THEIR citizens requesting sets of data from my server in MY country they need to block them not me.

Just because you chew with your mouth closed in public and teach your kids to do so, it does not mean you have any authority on how I chew my food even if goes against something you are trying to instill in your brood.

Let me make a comparison in the real world which may help you understand why nothing anyone says on this matters to me.

I live in Connecticut and possess a card which allows me to possess certain substances within my state borders which are otherwise illegal. I can freely travel with this substance in my state without being harassed. New York which borders me does not allow this substance even with the proper permits. They actually border the state I live in and I have no reason to comply with them when not in their state and these are both states within my nation.

That being the case, I can tell you right now that if anyone comes from the other side of the pond to harass me about non laws that I have no need to comply with I will sue them into tomorrow and make youtube videos about how I spend their money and dare them to get those videos removed so I can re-up.

Pay attention here: If they do not want THEIR citizens requesting sets of data from my server in MY country they need to block them not me.
The problem with this is that we all think like ordinary people. You think they care about logic or anything? Any EU law I've checked with global implications has global compliance requirements, so I'm guessing this is the same. You can't logically say "I am not a EU citizen or hosted in the EU" because that argument probably won't hold against them, they don't care. The same way a lot of governments don't care about logic when they do something, because a few individuals can't do a thing to them.

However, as I said, I doubt any forum is big enough for them to care or take any action, more-so a forum hosted in the US.

I can tell you right now that I don't owe the queen or the crown anything on that side of the rock and if the other side of the world doesn't understand what the revolutionary war was about I invite them to look up US history and see what comes up in 1776.

US citizens (while in the United States) can ignore any law which is not: a state law OR a federal law passed in both the house and senate with approval or veto override of the president.

I can also not be charged with a crime that was in fact not a crime when the act was committed (ex post facto for people in countries where the definition of a crime can be changed on a whim) and seeing as no law was passed in the US, I have no obligation to cease activities, bow to the crown, nor play patty-cake with law makers in your country who just want to get a piece of legislature in their name so they can make believe they are worth what they get paid ($97,500USD).

The size of the forum is irrelevant, this is about principal and the ground floor of it is I am not in the EU, have no income from the EU, and receive no state benefits from the EU so they can just get off my manhood, EU know what I'm sayin?

Top Bottom