Eu privacy laws

Hey all…

for eu experts….

If a user ask for deletion of account and user is from one of eu countries, even I am based in usa, I am required to delete account or be fined for it?

StarArmy

I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice, but basically the answer is yes.

You don't have to delete the person's posts, though, unless they contain personal information.

Max Taxable

basically the answer is yes.
The answer is no. The EU cannot levy fines against non-EU citizens. This is why they require someone they CAN fine, as your "EU compliance representative."
gdpr.jpg
If a user ask for deletion of account and user is from one of eu countries
It doesn't matter if he/she is FROM a EU country, it only matters where the data was processed. So that, if a British national creates an account on your forum from a US location, the GDPR does not apply. Either way, nobody in the EU is coming after a small message board. They're going to be after deeper pockets.

Reading helps. Googling stuff is cool.

wedgar

The answer is no. The EU cannot levy fines against non-EU citizens. This is why they require someone they CAN fine, as your "EU compliance representative."
View attachment 252170

It doesn't matter if he/she is FROM a EU country, it only matters where the data was processed. So that, if a British national creates an account on your forum from a US location, the GDPR does not apply. Either way, nobody in the EU is coming after a small message board. They're going to be after deeper pockets.

Reading helps. Googling stuff is cool.

Wondering who is volunteering to be the EU based representative for non-EU based forums? ;-)

Seeker-Smith

Wondering who is volunteering to be the EU based representative for non-EU based forums? ;-)
In my case I'm in Canada and so is my server. However a payment processor I use is in the Netherlands and I have a sponsored Corporation there. So this does apply to me. You may also be tied via your payment processor if you're using one.

Mr. Jinx

If a user ask for deletion of account and user is from one of eu countries, even I am based in usa, I am required to delete account or be fined for it?
Does it really matter if the EU law applies here? I mean, if a user requests account deletion, then just delete the account.
I hate it when I want to delete my account on a site and have to open up a support ticket to get it done. It would be hilarious if they don't want to delete MY account.