1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Bombardier, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Getting very frustrated with this one

I recently CHMOD my styles and Js folder to 666 whilst I installed an audentio style
    After doing so and when loading my page I got this error meesage in the browsr

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    Server unable to read htaccess file, denying access to be safe.

I have checked all the ,htaccess files for being 644 and I can not resolve this issue.

Any ideas
  2. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

It seems to me that may have made an error when CHMOD directories?
    It would be useful if I knew what each directory should be CHMOD set.
  3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The error is typically related to mod_security on the server.

Your host should be able to help resolve it.
    Bombardier likes this.
  4. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Well I hope so but like most hosts they are slow to respond :notworthy:
  5. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Well this is what they say and coincidentally this issue has happened since they rebooted the server

6. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

just found this on another thread by Brogan

General files and directories should be 0644 and 0755 respectively.

7. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Does this mean that I have CHMOD a directory incorrectly and that is what is causing the error.
    If so how do i correct it
  8. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

And now they say this however with my limited understanding it means nothing to me
  9. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Well I am afraid thats it for me. I cant make things work because I don't understand any of this.
  10. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

You chmod the files to 666 and the directories to 777. What they (/data and /internal_data) need to have done is be world writeable. If you are conversing with them, simply tell them that those directories and all files and directories below them need to have the files set at 666 and directories at 777. If they don't know how to do that, I'll be happy to whip up a simple little script to do it for them - but if they don't know how to do that, I don't know that I'd want to be hosting with them.

For suPHP, I think there is an option to recompile apache (under EasyApache) with it - but if you are on shared hosting you can't do that.
    Is this shared hosting or a VPS with cPanel?
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Bombardier likes this.
  11. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Thank you I have passed that on it is a VPS server.
  12. Bombardier

Bombardier Active Member

Well I have to admit I was getting very frustrated and preparing to throw the towel in for good.
    i had one last push and EUREKA! I found that I had changed the permissions on the root folder (God only knows why?) so changed it back and all appears to be working fine.