As designed Entering a line break when editing a quote or writing a quote from fresh using the new inserter breaks the caret out of the quote

RobinHood

Affected version
As above. Start editing within the new quote area in the editor and adding a line break will break you out of the quote area.

Roughly speaking, this is intentional (and how it works within Froala itself). It's similar to how other block formatting tags like headings work and in a sense, the way pressing enter in a list will trigger a new list item.

The general approach to maintaining this is shift-enter. (Or you can highlight multiple lines after the fact and it will go into one quote.)

The more I use this, the more I feel it should probably be reversed.

I get that it's inline with formatting tags like headines and list items, but you don't normally expect headings to be more than one line, so you wouldn't really have a use case very often for multi line headers.

You may wish to delete parts of a quote and add an extra line break here and there for formatting. Breaking out of the quote container with a normal line break doesn't feel right.

Normal line breaks should work within and expand the quote box area imo, and if you want to break out of it you can use shift + enter. Especially as shift + enter isn't an instinctive thing to do on mobile and if you want to get out of the quote area you would tap below it instead of adding a line break.

I would expect it to act like the table tool, where adding a line break as normal adds line breaks within the table cell, expanding its size.

Roughly speaking, this is intentional (and how it works within Froala itself). It's similar to how other block formatting tags like headings work and in a sense, the way pressing enter in a list will trigger a new list item.

The general approach to maintaining this is shift-enter. (Or you can highlight multiple lines after the fact and it will go into one quote.)
My forum is full of quotes with breaks in them now, likely because when they copy and paste it strips them and the user tries to re-insert them by hitting the enter button, which then breaks it and creates a new one.

Average users aren't going to know to hit shift+enter to get around this and it makes the post look terrible. Is there any way to disable this and make it so it just inserts the quote tags instead, like the previous version?

Top Bottom