Enhanced Search, Could we pull up topics from years ago?

surfsup

I have Enhanced search installed, but I am curious on a few things. What if someone wants to pull up some company info from a thread couple years back, right now I have it set at a around 600 but when searching a certain phrase or word it only goes back but so far.

So my question is how could someone pull up results from years ago if they wanted to find something?

Cause theres many topics that I totally forgot about that would still be a hit today.

I just dont want it to weigh down our server etc.

There shouldn't be any limit on how far it goes back. I can search in our sand get thread #1 in search results.

There shouldn't be any limit on how far it goes back. I can search in our sand get thread #1 in search results.
But in the admincp under search options theres an option that says:
Maximum Number of Search Results -
"This number reflects the maximum number of search results that will be found, before permissions are taken into account. Setting this too high may cause performance problems."

What do you have yours set at?

It's 1,000 on my setup... but that's not something like, "Only search the last 1,000 posts." or anything... That's more for, "If you aren't finding what you are searching for in the first 50 pages of search results, you should be more specific with your query."

Being able to look 1,000 deep into search results is the same for Google btw... If you aren't finding what you are looking for after paging through that many pages, you should be changing your query.

It's 1,000 on my setup... but that's not something like, "Only search the last 1,000 posts." or anything... That's more for, "If you aren't finding what you are searching for in the first 50 pages of search results, you should be more specific with your query."

Being able to look 1,000 deep into search results is the same for Google btw... If you aren't finding what you are looking for after paging through that many pages, you should be changing your query.
Ah gotcha, yea some suppliers was asking how many times and how far back does their company name show up - thats what I was trying to figure out.

Well like I said... it goes back infinitely (at least it should)... but paging back more than 1,000 results (in my case) doesn't happen. Just no real world use I can think of where someone would actually be spinning through page after page after page not finding what they are looking for... get to the 1,000th result and still want to keep looking for something they haven't found yet without altering their query.

Top Bottom