XF 2.2 Enhanced Search 2.2

spyralout

I just purchased Xenforo Enhanced Search along with Elastisearch. When we were about to install, my hosting service advised that Elastisearch is End of Lifecycle. Will this pose an issue in the future for XES?

Elasticsearch itself is not EOL and should continue to be around for many years to come. It is their flagship product, after all.

Specific versions may be end of life. Perhaps that's what they mean. You can continue to use EOL versions without much issue.

I just purchased Xenforo Enhanced Search along with Elastisearch. When we were about to install, my hosting service advised that Elastisearch is End of Lifecycle. Will this pose an issue in the future for XES?
That's a load of rubbish. Elasticsearch is actually released and regularly updated in several versions.

If you are using a hoster, it is likely that they don't/won't give you the freedom to install use Elasticsearch, which relies on the Java virtual machine to run. Thus, if you can't use Elasticsearch+Java, you wouldn't be able to run XenForo Enhanced Search on your forum. I had this same problem when I used the hosting company 1&1 to host my forum. Moving to Linode and running my forum in a virtual machine gave me complete freedom to install and run whatever software I want to, including Enhanced Search.

That's a load of rubbish. Elasticsearch is actually released and regularly updated in several versions.

If you are using a hoster, it is likely that they don't/won't give you the freedom to install use Elasticsearch, which relies on the Java virtual machine to run. Thus, if you can't use Elasticsearch+Java, you wouldn't be able to run XenForo Enhanced Search on your forum. I had this same problem when I used the hosting company 1&1 to host my forum. Moving to Linode and running my forum in a virtual machine gave me complete freedom to install and run whatever software I want to, including Enhanced Search.
They said they'd install it no problem. I'm using KnownHost and they've been pretty good the past 3 years. Both my colleague and I make changes, do backups whenever we want but it's also gotten to the point where our forum has grown exponentially especially within the past month so we're trying to offload some of the work that they could be doing for us.

I think the comment about a "load of rubbish" had more to do with it being EOL. The version they have access to may be EOL, but ElasticSearch itself is not.
KnownHost has a pretty good reputation, and if you ask them if they are running the most current code line they'll probably resolve the issue.

Last edited:
I think the comment about a "load of rubbish" had more to do with it being EOL. The version they have access to may be EOL, but ElasticSearch itself is not.
KnownHost has a pretty good reputation, and if you ask them if they are running the most current code line they'll probably resolve the issue.

We recently moved to a new dedicated server and installed v7.17.9 (Released Feb 2023) on AlmaLinux and it's working great:

@Tracy Perry - you are correct. Saying that ElasticSearch is EOL is simply incorrect information from a hosting company.

If one is on a "managed hosting" plan, then it's likely that they hoster won't allow Java to be installed because of resource usage per the plan's parameters or access restrictions on root and/or installing software.

If one is on a virtual machine plan with a provider, then it shouldn't be a problem.

As with @VBX Co I have been running ElasticSearch 7.17.9 to power my Enhanced Search. Version 7 is updated probably every month or two. The current ElasticSearch version 8.6.2 is the latest, and also is updated regularly.

Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 6.24.14 AM.webp

I have RSS feeds installed and the Similar Threads feature keeps bringing certain RSS feeds which essentially ruins the Similar Threads feature since it just displays those instead of member threads. Is there a way to block RSS feeds or perhaps just from "Guest" members which are what shows up from RSS threads?

Top Bottom