Fixed Emoji/smilie menu does not support images wider than 32px

Jaxel

Affected version
Firstly, if a smilie is longer than 32px... it gets cut off in the smilie list. This is a problem with my smilies where it is important to see the entire smilie:

Secondly, if you have smilies that share the same "shortcode" as an emoji, it will be hidden in the smilie list. Even if you have "shortcodeToEmoji" and "showEmojiInSmilieMenu" disabled (which I do). In the above screen shot, next to the :K: icon, should also be a :A: and :B: icon, but since those share with emojis, they aren't listed.

It appears the second issue is related to the <xf:if is="!$smilie.doesOverlapWithEmoji()"> statement in editor_smilies_emoji.

This should not be checked if you have "shortcodeToEmoji" disabled.

Recommended to replace with <xf:if is="!$xf.options.shortcodeToEmoji OR !$smilie.doesOverlapWithEmoji()">

I personally would like the option to go back to the old smilie menu system. The new system just doesn't work well if you have hundreds of smilies and don't care about emojis.

I personally would like the option to go back to the old smilie menu system. The new system just doesn't work well if you have hundreds of smilies and don't care about emojis.
We have hundreds of old school smileys and the people totally love the new emojis cause they bring awesome diversity. Ofc i wouldn't mind an option but I'll keep the system as it is now :D

About the second issue, i just rewrote the shortcode for my old school smileys like :ki_ss: to :kiss2: and now everything is fine, all appear.....

The only real issue is the cursor jumping after the smiley problem even in RC1 but i wrote about that in the relevant thread already.

Last edited:
Firstly, if a smilie is longer than 32px... it gets cut off in the smilie list. This is a problem with my smilies where it is important to see the entire smilie:

I have this in extra.less for that:

Code:
.emojiList>li a img {
    max-height: 32px!important;
}

Secondly, if you have smilies that share the same "shortcode" as an emoji, it will be hidden in the smilie list. Even if you have "shortcodeToEmoji" and "showEmojiInSmilieMenu" disabled (which I do). In the above screen shot, next to the :K: icon, should also be a :A: and :B: icon, but since those share with emojis, they aren't listed.
It appears the second issue is related to the <xf:if is="!$smilie.doesOverlapWithEmoji()"> statement in editor_smilies_emoji.

This should not be checked if you have "shortcodeToEmoji" disabled.

Recommended to replace with <xf:if is="!$xf.options.shortcodeToEmoji OR !$smilie.doesOverlapWithEmoji()">
That issue is being tracked here:

I was about to report the same bug. Smilies that have different size than emojis are cropped. :eek:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-01-22 13-15-40.webp
    Screenshot from 2019-01-22 13-15-40.webp
    20 KB · Views: 38
I added the following to my extra.css:

Code:
.menu--emoji .emojiList
{
    display: block;

> li
    {
        padding: 0 5px;
        a { width: auto; }
    }
}

Fixes the issue and adds some padding between each smilie.

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.0 RC2).

Change log:
Allow wider smilies in the smilie/emoji menu. (Smilies are now constrained by height only.)
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

Top Bottom