Email proxy system for XenForo

Dad.

Is there a tutorial on routing mail through a different mail server? And does anyone have any suggestions? We are having our email sent to spam when we send it to people, so I figured this is the best way to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Mike

Is there a tutorial on routing mail through a different mail server? And does anyone have any suggestions? We are having our email sent to spam when we send it to people, so I figured this is the best way to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Mike
You can use [BD]Mails and Mandrill - but after a certain amount you have to start paying.
The other option is to make sure you have SPF and DKIM entries for your mail server. If you are running your own server it's not that hard to set up, especially if you are using Postfix as your MTA.
Hotmail is squirrely to send to - even with a valid DKIM and SPF I had to end up contacting them and they checked and agreed that mine should not have been going into spam since the DKIM and SPF were correct. Guess I caught the other part of their bayesian filter since I don't send that much mail to them and wasn't "recognized". :rolleyes:
Gmail on the other hand recognized it fine.

@Tracy Perry, you can setup SPF, DKIM and the entire world on your server, if the IP is banned on Spamhaus there is nothing you can do.
That's why you have to keep a clean IP (and if someone else trashed it before you request a clean one). My entire /24 is clean as far as I can tell. I specifically asked for a clean /24 when I got my server and they supplied me with one.
If you ARE in a blacklist, then it's time to (if you were not the spammer) go in and submit your IP to them for removal. Not that difficult of a thing to do.

In his case, if is server IP is the one that resolves back to his domain he shouldn't have any problem.
Now, a LOT of the OVH IP's (and this is NOT a jibe at OVH) I've noticed seem to appear on there but that's probably because of all the cheap servers they have. Spammers haven.

Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 11.28.30 PM.webp

It appears that there is an SPF record for his site - but (unless he used a different selector than mail._domainkey) there is no DKIM record found.

Last edited:
Depending on how many mails are sent out at one time you could also look at using a Gmail setup for SMTP.

When you say sent to span are these Gmail accounts that are getting it in their spam folder. It seem that Gmail does not really blacklist some mail servers but sort of sees them as being suspect thus routing mail into the spam folder from those servers

We overcame this issue by using a Gmail SMTP account and so far no more issues

I switched to Mandrill for the forums and for newletters not send by the forums I use MailChimp (same company as Mandrill). Both are working perfectly.

It appears that there is an SPF record for his site - but (unless he used a different selector than mail._domainkey) there is no DKIM record found.
You suppose to have the domainkey private, mines is not displayed either. And I don't think his SPF is set properly:
# dig -t TXT audentio.com +short
"v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:208.100.19.199 ~all"
Mines, with optional Google Apps:
# dig -t TXT axivo.com +short
"v=spf1 a:axivo.com include:_spf.google.com ~all"

Last edited:
You suppose to have the domainkey private, mines is not displayed either. And I don't think his SPF is set properly:
You should have a TXT entry for your DKIM
http://dkim.org/specs/rfc4871-dkimbase.html#rfc.section.7.4
http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a62/configuring-dns-records-for-domainkeys-dkim.aspx

For your DKIM to work properly it should have a TXT entry in your DNS (public key record).
That is specifically what I was checking against.
For one of mine it is
Code:
v=DKIM1; h=sha256; k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCqHf6dDdq+4DacjozJaA3+sXJZ2alhxIqYKpEAiqzlR9s38bS04wkIbcFfHBErTBQEUjTK1rsBXObR9NsWq5w8+gQv9A11+21qzLrqAWNDoBLkmH34YJ8ubc0OE5fkQJq24jn8/mj9XMzJ3LKHSRDoaZ80Lf7oEANmy+qrVc7L2wIDAQAB

You still have your private key that nobody should have access to (if you are doing your own mail serving).

My SPF consists of
Code:
v=spf1 a mx ip4:204.44.114.10 a:bart.servinglinux.com ptr:servinglinux.com mx:bart.servinglinux.com ~all

Last edited:
@Tracy Perry, you can setup SPF, DKIM and the entire world on your server, if the IP is banned on Spamhaus there is nothing you can do.
You can purchase dedicated IP from Mandrill. It's a waste of money though since it's possible to purchase another IP from he's hosting company (better to have a different subnet).

You should have a TXT entry for your DKIM
http://dkim.org/specs/rfc4871-dkimbase.html#rfc.section.7.4
http://support.simpledns.com/kb/a62/configuring-dns-records-for-domainkeys-dkim.aspx[
For your DKIM to work properly it should have a TXT entry in your DNS (public key record).
That is specifically what I was checking against.
I do, not publicly announced. The mail relay will automatically get the TXT entry, even if hidden. If you look at an email original message, the DKIM keys are not displayed.
My SPF consists of
Code:
v=spf1 a mx ip4:204.44.114.10 a:bart.servinglinux.com ptr:servinglinux.com mx:bart.servinglinux.com ~all
Are you sending email from your IP or bart.servinglinux.com? If you don't then you don't need to advertise it publicly. Your emails will be always sent from this format admin@domain.com, so you have an A entry into DNS for that, right? Also, you are combining the "a", "mx" and "ptr" mechanisms which is pretty illogical and BAD. You pick one mechanism and stick with it, don't add ALL of them. For example, combining the "a" with "ptr" will result on a huge number of expensive DNS lookups.

Top Bottom