Other Email issue

FirstSword

Hello,

Suddenly my site won't send emails out for any notifications. I've always had an issue with new user registration emails taking anywhere from 3-7 minutes, but now nothing is sending. It just started today and nothing has been changed. I've tried changing the smtp settings to no avail, so I'm hoping someone can take a quick job to look at it and fix it for me.

Thank you!

There is a guide here which should help you narrow it down: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/email-troubleshooting-guide.5086/

If emails have stopped working for no reason then it's going to be something from the server onwards.

Thank you! I looked through that and none of those seems to be the issue. I have it working again by using the domain email set up with the SMTP relay, but it's still unusually slow (3-7 minutes for all notification or registration emails). I see the suggestions about Postfix or Sendmail, but installing that is beyond my skill level so if anyone is interested in taking on that job for me, please PM me a quote!

Thank you! I looked through that and none of those seems to be the issue. I have it working again by using the domain email set up with the SMTP relay, but it's still unusually slow (3-7 minutes for all notification or registration emails). I see the suggestions about Postfix or Sendmail, but installing that is beyond my skill level so if anyone is interested in taking on that job for me, please PM me a quote!
What type of hosting package are you using?

Shared Hosting, Virtual Private Server, or a Dedicated Server?

Here is where I've landed on this -

I've contacted the host (GoDaddy) and they set up a test script to check the PHP mailer, and there aren't any issues there. It is occasionally delayed 3-5 minutes, but they do come through. But on the front end, unless I'm using an SMTP relay (which is even longer) users receive this error page anytime they attempt to do anything that requires the site to send an email:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@dethronedgaming.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

So I'm stuck on where to go from here.

Check the server error log for details.

The server log will log authentication and connection errors when I try to change the settings to get something else to work, but currently if I attempt to use any email address at all with the default setting, the user gets the 500 internal service error and NO server error gets logged on the admin panel.

You need to check the server error log, not the log in the ACP.

We tried this and also had GoDaddy support check this and they aren't finding anything. We are completely out of ideas at this point and had more users report not receiving emails at all again. Should we try to move to a new host at this point?

For a 500 error, it should be logged unless the host has logging disabled.

Without log entries, it's impossible to say what could be causing it.

Top Bottom