XF 2.1 Email Errors

Sonnie

We are having an issue this morning where we are getting literally millions of server errors in trying to send emails to about 10-12 different users. XenForo won't stop attempting to send them for some reason. Even though I have removed the emails of those users... even deleted one user, but the system continues to repeatedly send these emails.

Here is the error.... any ideas on how to stop it?

Server error log
  • ErrorException: Email to cristian@cvsonido.com failed: [E_WARNING] fwrite(): SSL: Success
  • src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:240
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Apr 10, 2021 at 12:13 PM

Stack trace​

#0 [internal function]: XF::handlePhpError(2, '[E_WARNING] fwr...', '/home/...', 240, Array)
#1 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php(240): fwrite(Resource id #154, 'MAIL FROM:<boun...')
#2 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/ByteStream/AbstractFilterableInputStream.php(173): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->_commit('MAIL FROM:<boun...')
#3 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/ByteStream/AbstractFilterableInputStream.php(92): Swift_ByteStream_AbstractFilterableInputStream->_doWrite('MAIL FROM:<boun...')
#4 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(276): Swift_ByteStream_AbstractFilterableInputStream->write('MAIL FROM:<boun...')
#5 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(270): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->executeCommand('MAIL FROM:<boun...', Array, Array)
#6 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/EsmtpTransport.php(346): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->executeCommand('MAIL FROM:<boun...', Array)
#7 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(416): Swift_Transport_EsmtpTransport->_doMailFromCommand('bouncedcs2020+0...')
#8 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(444): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->_doMailTransaction(Object(Swift_Message), 'bouncedcs2020+0...', Array, Array)
#9 src/vendor/swiftmailer/swiftmailer/lib/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(176): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->_sendTo(Object(Swift_Message), 'bouncedcs2020+0...', Array, Array)
#10 src/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(292): Swift_Transport_AbstractSmtpTransport->send(Object(Swift_Message), Array)
#11 src/addons/Andy/EmailLog/XF/Mail/Mailer.php(10): XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message))
#12 src/XF/Mail/Queue.php(138): Andy\EmailLog\XF\Mail\Mailer->send(Object(Swift_Message), NULL, Array)
#13 src/XF/Job/MailQueue.php(12): XF\Mail\Queue->run(G)
#14 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(253): XF\Job\MailQueue->run(G)
#15 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(195): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, G)
#16 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(79): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, G)
#17 job.php(42): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#18 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(8) "/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(55) "https://www.avnirvana.com/admin.php?logs/server-errors/"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

https://www.avnirvana.com/admin.php?logs/server-errors/10711/delete

I had our server tech look at it... this is what he stated....

I found that the xenforo mail queue table was very large, which is likely why all emails from the site could not send.
===
50G /var/lib/mysql/audiovid_avnirvana_2017/xf_mail_queue.ibd
===

I have cleared out that queue, which should stop to send errors/repeated sending attempts.

Curious is there is someway of preventing this from happening again.

It seems our server disk space will go from 30% up to 100% just from error logs and email queue.

Is there some way to prevent it from taking up that much space? I can't seem to find a setting anywhere within the ACP to limit it, but I could be missing it.

Regards,
Sonnie

It seems our server disk space will go from 30% up to 100% just from error logs and email queue.

If your server disk usage raise from 30-100% just because of "error log" (whatever you mean by that) and mail queue you should really consult a capable server administrator and solve all your server issues.

Or you might go along for some time with simply getting a larger disk as you seem to have no problem with your server issues beside the lack of disk space.

I believe we have tracked it down to the email queue logging errors.

This morning, there were 5 accounts with bad emails that the forum software continued attempting (every few seconds) to resend email to those bad email addresses. It logged about 2 million server errors.

Previously when we cleared the email queue and error log, we were back at 32% disk capacity.

I have opened a ticket with XF in hopes of figuring out how to stop the system from attempting to resend emails to bad email addresses.

Regards,
Sonnie

Top Bottom