XF 2.2 Email as username...

Nicolas FR

Hello,
A user has, probably by mistake, used his email address as his username. If I change his username in the ACP what will happen when he tries to log back in (if he logged out, I don't know...)?
Thanks.

Hello,
A user has, probably by mistake, used his email address as his username. If I change his username in the ACP what will happen when he tries to log back in (if he logged out, I don't know...)?
Thanks.
Do you not allow your users to change their username? If you do, he should be able to do so without any impact.
Before just changing his username, you need to check with him first.

The question was whether the user would be able to reconnect if I changed his username without him knowing.
He's a new user, he's logged in once, that's all.
Yes because he will login with his old username which is his email address so will log him in as users can log in with either username or email.

He’ll then discover he has a new name

I suppose he will be able to log in with his email address.
Login is supposed to be "Log in with username or email address" if I'm not wrong.

To be precise he used name.surname@domain as username and his email address is name.surname@domain.com
So not an email address actually.

But if you changed his username to something else and the user tried to log in with that username then they wouldn’t be able to.

But you can also log in with the actual email address and the password reset form requires an email address.

Perhaps a situation where it might be best to just try and discuss with the user what they would like to do.

I have exactly same case, name.surname@gmail (without .com) as a username. I find it strange that people use this as username, but I guess that they don't know what username is.

Top Bottom