Ellis Lab looks for new owner for CodeIgniter

Well, a business wants to focus on its business I guess. Hopefully it goes to the right hands, it does indeed look really nice and will be looking into it to learn more PHP. :)

I see so many personal profiles on blogs and social media where people describe themselves as "Laravel converts / CodeIgniter refugees". It's almost like - "will the last developer to leave CodeIgniter please turn out the lights".

I see so many personal profiles on blogs and social media where people describe themselves as "Laravel converts / CodeIgniter refugees". It's almost like - "will the last developer to leave CodeIgniter please turn out the lights".
Laravel seems like a natural progression, haven't played with it much, seems a lot of CI devs are moving to it, but there's a learning curve.

I just heard of PHPixie also, but haven't looked at it. Seems a little too "cute" for me.
http://phpixie.com

I've used Jerry's integration before. I'd like to know if Jerry still uses CI, or if he's been playing with something else. I've been disillusioned with CI for a couple of years now, but it's still a great framework to learn if you like decent documentation, and are coming from a procedural language.

Last edited:
Ouch. Cant say I'm surprised. The development on Codeigniter is all but dead (there was 1 guy pushing code every week or so, but most of the reactor developers left about a year ago). Ellislabs really dont deserve anything for it at this stage. They let it die by refusing to bring it up to date.

I loved Codeigniter but compared to...well...ANYTHING built on Composer, it's a dinosaur. Dare I say it, even Zend 2 is more appealing these days. However you cant go far wrong with Symfony and/or Laravel!

CodeIgniter is a free framework. I don't understand your comment, comparing it to VB?
EllisLab wants to focus on their business, ExpressionEngine, therefore don't want to carry the weight of maintaining an open source framework, which has been lacking.

And I meant using CodeIgniter to learn some framework PHP coding.

Hope that clears it up!

EllisLab wants to focus on their business, ExpressionEngine, therefore don't want to carry the weight of maintaining an open source framework, which has been lacking.

And I meant using CodeIgniter to learn some framework PHP coding.

Hope that clears it up!
Someone else brought up vBulletin and has since deleted the post.

I'm sorry @Lucas my comment was regarding somebody else's post that compared Ellis Lab/CI to Invision Brands/vB. I don't know why that post was deleted. Maybe it was just a post in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
@SneakyDave: Competitor bashing / discussions are no longer permitted on these forums, except in feature comparisons or feedback related to them. I can only assume your posts came out as competitor bashing.

I wasn't doing any bashing. I was asking the poster why there was a comparison being made between EllisLab and Invision Brands. I understand that maybe that post was removed without an explanation, and that's why Lucas thought my response was to his post.

I think it's all clear now. Posts 3,5,10-14 can probably be deleted, as they all pertain to that removed post.

Top Bottom