Lack of interest Eliminate the Breadcrumb in non-Forum areas

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Doctor

Breadcrumbs aren't helpful in non-Forum Tabs.
They seem to emphasize that xenForo is just a forum. With forum-like things in areas they shouldn't be. Plus it's just junky.

xenforo.eliminate.breadcrumbs.in.non.forum.areas.webp

I think it would be a good idea to make the breadcrumb easy to TOGGLE OFF or ON for certain tabs. Style designers please make note !

Update: This post shows you how to get rid of the breadcrumb.

Update: April 20, 2011
Breadcrumbs are useful for navigating nested forums, galleries with hierarchical categories, a database with hierarchy, and catalogues with nested categories.
The more nested the information, the more the breadcrumb helps.

For Information with no hierarchy / nesting ... breadcrumbs do not provide any function.

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Couldn't you use conditionals to make their appear or not based on what template/page you're on?

I am no coder by no means, but with some help, I did get it to work with IPB and their IP.Content app. I removed the breadcrumbs when the member was in the IP.Content app but displayed them when in the forums.

I would think this would be possible here as well..

Jamie

Yes. Probably.
But I think breadcrumbs should be eliminated from non-Forum tabs in the default xenForo installation.
There don't serve any use be junking things up.

I know I am on the Member Tab.
I just clicked it.
The Tab stands out like crazy.

While I understand the need to remove them, some people may want them on their sites. If the option to use a conditional statement to remove them works, then both groups (those that want and those that don't) wins..

Instead of removing them, I would like a developer to show us how to remove them ourselves. Just my opinion though.

Jamie

Actually what I want is:
Your conditional statements that allow for keeping or hiding the breadcrumb on non-Forum Tabs
and
for the default to be hiding
:)
Perfect !

The breadcrumb is something that helps a forum user know which forum they are in.
I can see right now this is being posted in:
XenForo Community Forums > Public Forums > Suggestions: Tweaks & Small Features
This has some value in a forum, especially with a large number of forums or deeply nested forums.

But there is very little usefulness on almost any other type of page (Home, Help, Members, Portal, Wiki).

Style designers, please make the "waste of space" breadcrumb ... OPTIONAL !!

Having a breadcrumb in non-forum pages makes me think of another mickey mouse CMS.
Code:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php

Excellent ! Thanks.
How do I inform template designers to encourage them to think of Xenforo as more than just a forum !

As admin.php breadcrumb option? Yes plz ..

What would the admin setting be ?

A list of all the tabs - and a check box to display breadcrumb option ?
Home - [ ] display breadcrumb
Forums - [ x] display breadcrumb (display by default)
Members - [ ] display breadcrumb
Help - [ ] display breadcrumb

No, just to display it the original way, or with custom control of the navbar (we populate our templates ourselves)

Note this was solved.

http://www.anfinitinetwork.com/xftest/pages/testing/

Did it with:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$quickNavSelected} != 'node-3'">
<div class="breadBoxTop">
<xen:if is="{$topctrl}"><div class="topCtrl">{xen:raw $topctrl}</div></xen:if>
<xen:include template="breadcrumb"><xen:set var="$microdata">1</xen:set></xen:include>
</div>
</xen:if>
Replace "node-3" with "node-55" or any number you want. Repeat for bottom breadcrumbs if necessary. This was in beta 3 (haven't gotten around to upgrading), so hopefully quickNavSelected hasn't changed since then.

How do you use the breadcrumb on the
  • Help tab ?
  • Members Tab ?

I don't go to those pages, I can go to Members > type "Kier" into the box, then when I'm done stalking looking on Kiers' profile, I can click the "Members" breadcrumb to go back and stalk search for Mike. The same with Help. They have their uses. :)

Jump on the only part of my post which supports your argument, sure. :rolleyes:

Okay, I DO go to those pages, then I type "Kier" into the search box, then I click the members BREADCRUMB (not the tab) to get back to the members page to type "Mike" into the search box.

They are kept on the members/help pages for consistency, although they hold little value on those pages, (I see your point), when coupled with the heirarchy of XenForo > Members > Kier - it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom