Elasticsearch requires optimization

Tom McIntyre

I have been getting errors from Elasticsearch, but I thought it was working most of the time.

I was reviewing the installation and saw the message in the title. When I clicked on optimize now, I got this error display.
XFES\Elasticsearch\ConnectException: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 20001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (see http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) in src/addons/XFES/Elasticsearch/Api.php at line 390
  1. XFES\Elasticsearch\Api->request() in src/addons/XFES/Elasticsearch/Api.php at line 278
  2. XFES\Elasticsearch\Api->deleteIndex() in src/addons/XFES/Service/Optimizer.php at line 64
  3. XFES\Service\Optimizer->optimize() in src/addons/SV/ElasticSearchEssentials/XFES/Service/Optimizer.php at line 25
  4. SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XFES\Service\Optimizer->optimize() in src/addons/XFES/Admin/Controller/EnhancedSearch.php at line 151
  5. XFES\Admin\Controller\EnhancedSearch->actionOptimize() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
  6. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 257
  7. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 113
  8. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 55
  9. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2191
  10. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 391
  11. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

This isn't related to my add-on but is a configuration issue with ElasticSearch.

You'll need to check the elasticsearch server logs for hints, but this is normally not enough memory assigned to ElasticSearch or too much and it is paging. Hosting ElasticSearch on SSDs or better NVMe SSDs helps a lot.

Since this was deleting the index to recreate it, just try again and see if it works as it might work after it has a chance to do some work in the background.

I do not have the personal resources to maintain the Elasticsearch Server. Has anyone used the Elastic Cloud Service from Elasticsearch?

Is it possible to just get an AWS server (or some other provider) and have Elasticsearch manage it with the Extended Search package and our local addons?

In looking at AWS I saw they offer Opensearch which seems to offer the same services as the standard Elasticsearch. Will the Extended Search Official Addon work with AWS Opensearch?

My first impression is that the Free service level from AWS would be adequate to operate our Elasticsearch server. We would need to drop back to ES 7.10 to use Opensearch but I do not think that would affect our use of Extended Search or @Xon's addons. Is that correct? Does anyone have experience in this area.

I do not have the personal resources to maintain the Elasticsearch Server. Has anyone used the Elastic Cloud Service from Elasticsearch?

Is it possible to just get an AWS server (or some other provider) and have Elasticsearch manage it with the Extended Search package and our local addons?

What are the specs of your current ElasticSearch Server? What else is running on that server?

I have three dedicated ES servers (three different sites in three different geographic locations) - once they are set up and correctly configured, they require very little maintenance.

Top Bottom