1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elasticsearch 0.90 Beta 1

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by Deebs, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

I converted my forum over from ES 0.20.x and OpenJava (or whatever it is called) to ES 0.90 Beta 1 and Oracle Java 1.7 update 17 without any problems last night.

As compression is on by default in ES 0.90 the forum index went from 4gb down to 1.9gb :) Anyway, just thought I would let you know it works fine.

The Forum Heroes, Brogan and Slavik like this.
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Good to know, will upgrade P8nt shortly and report back the results.

Deebs likes this.
  3. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Am just rebuilding with Mike's custom mapping so will be interested to see the difference.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff Deebs.
    I'll see about getting our site upgraded too.

Deebs likes this.
  5. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

The big thing is it is using Lucene 4.x now with lots more goodies in there to fiddle with.

6. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Right, with Mike's mapping these are the stats for my index:

Code:
    size: 1.1gb (1.1gb)
    docs: 4159774 (4159778)

7. Slavik

Updated to latest ES + Java versions

Index went from 1.4gb to 663mb.

Deebs likes this.
  8. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Awesome sauce!

9. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Thanks! Will give it a go too. Our servers are currently using 0.20.5 and Java 1.7.17

10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

11. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

12. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Time to update your ES installation/update guide :)

13. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Funny you say that... lol

14. Slavik

Silence you!

15. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Roffle. A bit of deja vu is happening..... lol

16. digitalpoint

So apparently 0.90.x still has the same issue for me that 0.20.x has (can't show content by a user). Maybe has something to do with me not storing _source? Either way, from the shell, this (which is what XenForo is doing), gives 0 results:

Code:
    curl -XPOST localhost:9200/xenforo/_search -d '{"query":{"filtered":{"filter":{"and":[{"term":{"user":1}},{"type":{"value":"thread"}}]},"query":{"match_all":{}}}},"sort":[{"date":"desc"}],"size":1000,"fields":["date"]}'
    But making it so you are searching just the one content type (even leaving all the filtering parameters in place), it works...
    Code:
    curl -XPOST localhost:9200/xenforo/thread/_search -d '{"query":{"filtered":{"filter":{"and":[{"term":{"user":1}},{"type":{"value":"thread"}}]},"query":{"match_all":{}}}},"sort":[{"date":"desc"}],"size":1000,"fields":["date"]}'
    I hacked on XenES_Api::search() a little bit to make it so a search with type filtering just searches the one content type index, and everything works as expected. It's pretty strange... really looks like an ES bug to me that started with 0.20.x and maybe just happens when you don't save _source?

17. digitalpoint

Interesting side note... I just realized today that I forgot to allocate more than the default 1024MB to the ES_HEAP_SIZE when I upgraded (really annoying ES doesn't store it's config stuff in something like /etc btw...

Anyway... it's been humming along fine with the nodes just using the default 1024MB for more than a week and noticed no ill effects or anything being slower than when I allocated way more memory. Maybe the operating system is giving it "real" memory instead of disk swap or something... but thought it was worth noting.

I'm just gonna leave it at 1024... {shrug}

Slavik likes this.
  18. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

Yeh that is annoying that the config file is stored in the data area and that subsequent versions can overwrite your changes. Interesting about the memory usage. Will have to check what I have mine set to when I finally get into work. (Awfully slow net connection where I am atm)