Elastic Search using AWS ES

Blackbeard

Has anyone tried using the AWS Elastic Search setting it up?
We are having issues with anonymous users aka xenforo trying to access it.

We went this way as ES was already installed, one less things to manage.

We are having issues with anonymous users aka xenforo trying to access it.

If this is what I think you're asking about...

Your firewall on AWS should be set to block access to port 9200 from outside, if you are hosting XF and ES on the same server instance. If the forum is hosted elsewhere, you should allow in only the IP address of the remote XF.

Since I host both on the same server for now, I only allow the bare minimum of ports in, so 9200 is excluded already. And network.host is set to "localhost" in elasticsearch.yml (I believe in recent versions, it is set to that by default).

Since I may split ES to its own cloud server in the near future, I am going to use our host's internal IP address (10.0.0.0/8) so requests stay inside their network.

So, we put a cname to the ip address and opened up to port only to allow certain ips.

Amazon support is slow but helped us find the proper security technique without us requiring additional overhead.

So, we put a cname to the ip address and opened up to port only to allow certain ips.

Amazon support is slow but helped us find the proper security technique without us requiring additional overhead.
Sorry to bump an old thread...

Were you operating in a VPC? If so, did you open up access to your private IPs (or does the ES service run over public IPs)? Do you mind posting any non-sensitive security-group / policy configs you used to make it work?

Top Bottom