Fixed Editor doesn't open links in new tab when editing post (or after toggling editor mode)

Steffen

Affected version
In the WYSIWYG editor, clicking a link opens a toolbar with three buttons. This issue is about the leftmost button: "Open link".

If you've inserted a link using Froala, then the link has a target="_blank" attribute and the "Open link" button opens the link in a new tab. Everything is fine.

But if you a) edit the post later on or b) toggle the editor mode while editing (in both cases it's now XenForo that generates the post's HTML code) then the link doesn't have a target="_blank" attribute and clicking the "Open link" button opens the link in the same tab which is unexpected and can lead to data loss.

I think clicking links in the editor should always open a new tab, no matter how the link got there (and no matter whether it is an internal or an external link).

Actually, I don't like my browser or anything else dictating whether a link should open in the same tab or in a new tab/window but in any case this is a moot point. With mist (/all?) modern browsers, the user has the option of defining what should happen with links and this overrides any _target= setting.

I have my browsers set so they open in the same tab regardless of what a web page may try to specify. When I want it to open in a new tab, I use a right mouse click and select open in new tab or open in new page as the option.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.2.5).

Change log:
Ensure that clicking "open link" in the RTE always opens the link in a new tab.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom