Lack of interest Editor button for [PLAIN]

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Chromaniac

I only recently discovered the [PLAIN] bbcode (even though it is mentioned in bbcode support page!). I believe it is not one of the existing options in toolbar editors. Not sure what the reason is. Would be nice to have it available as an option to be added to the editor toolbars.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've seen it mentioned but I am not really that knowledgeable about bbcode as of yet. What does it do that would make it a good candidate for an editor button instead of just switching to bbcode editor and putting it in manually?

Switching to the bb code editor doesn't make content plain.

You need to explicitly wrap it in plain tags.

Using the bb code editor just means you have to manually type out all bb codes.

It is similar to putting content inside backtick (`) or inline code. Without any additional formatting. Comes handy when you have to type bbcode in posts without actually rendering it. from xenforo documentation:

This is not [B]bold[/B] text.

I have found uses for it a few times since I discovered it. though I miss having something like [PRE] bbcode sometimes (https://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=16). I think we had that on either vb or IPS.

I have a feeling I would be using it a lot more in 2.2 because quotes are behaving weird on 2.2. Have had a few cases where quoting an excerpt from a post with bbcode ends up breaking the post content.

Last edited:
Switching to the bb code editor doesn't make content plain.

You need to explicitly wrap it in plain tags.

Using the bb code editor just means you have to manually type out all bb codes.
To be clear, I meant switching to bbcode editor and putting the tag in manually.

Good explanation @Chromaniac

I'm not really following.

The plain tags can be entered manually in the rich text editor, or the bb code editor.
Without a button, they must be typed manually.

The same applies to any tags.

Having a button means the tag doesn't have to be typed when using the rich text editor - that's all the button does.

Another place where I have found it useful is when some text content ends up including short code for a smiley/emoji. Plain takes care of it. For example, posting this text without smiley at the end would not be doable without Plain.

hello:)

Top Bottom