EarthQuake Near Deep Bay

Weiyan

When browsing this forum, it seems earthquate. Everything shakes. I think some construction site cause it. Just received my wife's phone calling, she asked me to check whether its earthquake.

http://www.weather.gov.hk/gts/equake/eqpress_e/eqpress_e.20101119.1516.htm
It confirmed its earthquake.

Bulletin issued at 15:16 HKT 19/Nov/2010 An intense earthquake was recorded by the Hong Kong Observatory at 2:42 p.m. today (Friday, 19 November 2010). The epicentre was initially determined to be in the vicinity of Deep Bay (22.5N, 113.9E) about 35 kilometres northwest of the Hong Kong Observatory. The magnitude was
estimated to be 2.8 on the Richter Scale.

Good to see you are okay.

Luckly 2.8 isn't too bad or that dangerous. I've only been in 1 earthquake before and it was probably that small or even smaller. It only lasted 10 secs and felt odd. The floor felt so unbalanced.

Seems like we are having LOTS in the world these days right now. Kinda scary...

Seems like we are having LOTS in the world these days right now. Kinda scary...

More like they are just better reported as technology improves.

I live on the 8th floor of a tall building in Tokyo and we get small earthquakes very often. Once every two weeks or so, we get a decent size quake that makes my building sway to the point where my TV starts swaying back and forth on its table. Visitors I've had from overseas freak out if they're not from an area that experiences frequent quakes. :)

More like they are just better reported as technology improves.

I live on the 8th floor of a tall building in Tokyo and we get small earthquakes very often. Once every two weeks or so, we get a decent size quake that makes my building sway to the point where my TV starts swaying back and forth on its table. Visitors I've had from overseas freak out if they're not from an area that experiences frequent quakes. :)

haha wow.. I'd be freaking out too.

But doesn't that scare you long term. I mean what if one day a massive one hits? Something like a 7 or 8 Richter?

I'm not too worried about it. It's something I cannot control and therefore I don't go around worrying about it.

The good points about Japan and earthquakes is their strict building code when it comes to earthquake resistance. Which is one of the primary reasons new construction costs are extremely high. Older buildings built in the 60's and 70's are being torn down and replaced with updated architecture that complies with the latest building codes to be more earthquake resistance. The disaster management system in place appears to be quite strong and each major building/complex conducts drills at planned intervals to keep everyone aware of what to do in the event of the 'big one'. The Kanto region (where Tokyo is) is coming due for a large earthquake in the not-too-distant future. The southern region of Japan where the city of Kobe lies (Hanshin), had a major earthquake back in the mid-1990's, lots of damage and death with that one. Luckily, it happened earlier in the morning hours when everyone was at home and not commuting to work just yet. There would have been more deaths had the quake happened a little later in the morning...

My building was completed in 2007, we moved in just after the new year in 2008. I wouldn't buy anything that is more than 15 years old just based on the construction design. It's hit and miss when you leave the central Tokyo area, I prefer the convenience of being in a new place and close to major transportation points.

There is a site next to my office, they have been prepping the foundation of this new building for exactly one year. They have just started to lay the concrete as of last week. I don't know the total height of this new building, but my building is 32 floors plus 6 levels below ground. (Subway access, parking, shopping, etc.) Every other building is mostly the same height or higher... so we will see.

Ah well - like I said, not much I can do when it does decide to happen. There's nothing in next 10 years planned that would prompt us to move overseas or out of Tokyo. I love Tokyo way too much to leave it.... :D

Top Bottom