eAccelerator, ionCube & Zend Optimizer - What Do I Need?

You installed eAcceleator without touching any settings? How? Via EasyApache? Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I never heard xF using eAccelerator? Or perhaps I just don't know how it works. AFAIK eAccelerator is quite different than APC or memcache, I don't know for sure. Someone correct me.
The web host admin installed it for me. I meant after installing, I didn't change any settings. Do I really need extra settings in config.php or some other file?

AFAIK eAccelerator isn't supported by the Zend Framework (in which some parts power xenForo), or if they do support it, they have limited documentation for it. Your best bet is to use an alternative opcode caching method like APC. But, I don't know for sure. Someone please correct me.

Edit: xenForo supports APC, memcache and file, according to http://xenforo.com/help/cache/

To enable caching, add this to library/config.php:

PHP:
$config['cache']['enabled'] = true;
$config['cache']['frontend'] = 'Core';
$config['cache']['frontendOptions']['cache_id_prefix'] = 'xf_';

$config['cache']['cacheSessions'] = true; // Set this to false or do not set this at all if you are using APC

$config['cache']['backend'] = 'File'; // File, Apc or memcache

/**
* if your backend is memcache, add this. If not, don't.
**/
$config['cache']['backendOptions'] = array(
    'compression' => false,
    'servers' => array(
        array(
            // your memcached server IP /address
            'host' => 'localhost',

// memcached port
            'port' => 11211,
        )
    )
);

Thank I already have those settings. I'm not storing the sessions in cache. Is there any advantage of having seesions in cache?

If you're using APC, then no, it has no advantage. Using other caching methods? Not sure. But that setting works great on my previous server with xenForo running on an NginX webserver with APC on, and I saved the sessions in the cache, nothing went wrong. Right now I'm using IP.Board on NginX and memcache as well, and it's like it runs on localhost. Not sure with xenForo though.

Hmm so we shouldn't be caching sessions if we are using APC? What about xcache, which is what I use? And why, regardless?

According to the xF Caching Documentation (link on my previous post), if you are using APC and it is enabled on library/config.php, then you should NOT cache sessions. However, I am not sure about XCache, I think it is possible to be allowed since it was not mentioned in the documentation.

Top Bottom