1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug Duplicate Title Issue With Webmaster Tool - Xenforo Forum

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by PankajA, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PankajA

PankajA Member

All the pages get indexed in Google webmaster tool and showing Duplicate title, Duplicate Description issue.

2. Reply in the threads are index by Google webmaster tools as Duplicate meta Description.

3. How to stop these pages form being index by Google. Image Attached

There are two problem.

1. How to change the title and description for the pages index like, Otherwise it is showing duplicate title and description on google webmaster.

2. How to remove index.php from the url, Check image for your referenece

Pankaj Agarwal
  2. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

3. PankajA

PankajA Member

4. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

Is there a benefit to serving your sitemap from a CDN? I'd be worried that it 'could' be stale at the moment that Google wants to come check it out. Just a thought since I never seen that before.
  5. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

As long as it's refreshed properly, it shouldn't be an issue.

@Pankaj - Your robots.txt looks better, it will fix some of your problems.

In regards to Melbo's question though, your sitemap index is dated 11/1/2012 -- but all of the cascading content shown here: http://cdn.attracta.com/sitemap/937544/0.xml.gz --- it's all dated from 8/23/2012 --- I would check into why this hasn't been refreshed. I would expect to see some updates newer than 8/23/2012!
  6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Except for the "index.php" URLs which is a duplicate of your other report, I see no problems here. I checked the titles and descriptions for forums and threads spanning multiple pages. The only duplicates that exist are the forum descriptions which are the same on every page of a forum. Why is that a problem? It seems appropriate that every page inside of a forum have the same description. What would you change it to?
  7. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

I just checked a vB forum and they handle this the correct way by appending the page to the meta description of a forum category. So for example, Off Topic on page 20 would have a meta description, "Off Topic discussion for forum members, etc, etc, Page 20."

Google reports these as HTML that 'needs improvement' with the heading 'Duplicate meta descriptions':

Meta description information can give users a clear idea of your site's content and encourage users to click on your site in the search results pages.

It would seem to be an easy fix for XF developers. I have almost 300. Removing these would also help pinpoint any real issues.

Screen Shot 2014-03-05 at 11.21.56 AM.png