RM 2.2 Download Silent Failure

DCurrent

Greetings all.

I've had intermittent complaints about downloads failing for some time now. The story is always the same - Download erroneously completes, and the archive (almost all downloads are .zip or .rar) appears corrupted to end user.

Most of the time I could not reproduce their error and it was intermittent enough I chalked it up to white noise user mistakes or my crappy Bluehost server deciding it didn't want to play nice for a moment. As of this morning, that's no longer the case. Any download attempt plays out as such:
  1. Download starts without issues.
  2. After 20~60 seconds (I timed this and found no consistency), the download "completes", leaving an unfinished file.
I can only assume there's a fatal error thrown somewhere, but I don't see it and I've basically just been flying blind trying all the usual stuff. Thus far I've taken the following steps:
  • Downloading several different geographically dispersed locations. One of them is an ultra high bandwidth server at the campus I work for.
  • Increasing execution times, post times, memory available, and so on. I've since reduced them back to more reasonable levels that should still be adequate. See screenshot.
  • Checking Xenforo error log and php_error log. Both are empty.
  • Direct downloading the a couple of files via the host file manager to ensure their integrity.
  • Disabling every add-on (I only have a few anyway) other than the Resource Manager.
  • Running the Resource Manager rebuild.
  • Rolling back from PHP 8.1 to 8.0.25.
  • Enabling PHP error display (didn't figure this would work since the error is in the download, but worth a try... nothing).
Site: https://www.chronocrash.com
An Example Resource: https://chronocrash.com/forum/resources/world-heroes-supreme-justice-extra.30/

1669832519744.png

The only step I can think of now is contacting Bluehost, which of course will be less than useless. They'll just deflect back to you or try to up-sell. Any thoughts before I go that route would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DC

Last edited:
Are there any entries in the server error log?

Have you logged in to the server via FPT/cPanel and tried downloading the files that way to confirm it works and they are not corrupt?

Are there any entries in the server error log?

Have you logged in to the server via FPT/cPanel and tried downloading the files that way to confirm it works and they are not corrupt?

Yes friend. I covered both of those in my original post. The silent log is by far the most frustrating part of this.

Call this one resolved. I broke down and contacted Bluehost support. What a shock - their solution was an up-sell. Bonus points for trying to up-sell me to a plan I already had, to which they responded with "our bad, we meant the next one!". Way wrong answer.

Spent the last couple of days migrating away, and my download issues resolved themselves. If that isn't proof of intentional time out throttling, I don't know what is.

Thanks everyone,
DC

Top Bottom