Duplicate Down Vote Topic? Auto Thread Close...

Jaxel

I understand the lack of a "dislike" feature. It leads to trolling, hate and what not.

However, something I would like to see is a Down Vote Topic feature... Its not a "dislike", as its not linked to posts, or a user; its linked only to a specific thread. If a user doesn't like a thread, they can "Down Vote" the thread.

This would be a great moderation feature. For instance... if a thread gets 50 down votes within a week, it gets auto-locked.

// moderator addition
Duplicate: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-vote-to-close-thread.3535/

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As a default feature in XenForo it would greatly be a large negative action and way too open to abuse. Generally speaking, I don't see how you can see it's different from a Dislike link. You may not be doing it to individual posts but you're doing it for an entire thread, counting all the posts as a whole.

If the thread itself is problematic, the Report link would suffice and would likely be much more effective provided you have an active enough staff to handle reports in a timely manner.

I can imagine a few instances where this may be useful but I can't see this as something that should be anything more than an add-on.

Because the down vote is not linked to a user, like a dislike would be... As well, a down vote is time-sensative, while a dislike is permanent.

People don't report crap. I dont think I've ever seen a "genuine" report on my forums, ever... anytime we get a report, its some ******* reporting because someone call them on their ******** and they look like an ass.

id LOVE soimething like this.
unfortunately it lacks the airy faery vibe that seems to dominate any feature suggestion discussion.
i would use something like this because i, as the admin of my community, KNOW it would be appreciated and be useful. please trust me enough to admin my own community. if something like this were to have teething issues i would address it myself, i promise :rolleyes:

I think this would suit better near the like button. Up there it looks more like a moderation tool and users often don't look up there.

I think this would suit better near the like button. Up there it looks more like a moderation tool and users often don't look up there.
Well I don't give the feature to everyone... just select usergroups. Otherwise people could create accounts to downvote threads.

As well, it has nothing to do with posts... its a thread tool.

Well I don't give the feature to everyone... just select usergroups. Otherwise people could create accounts to downvote threads.

I see, if it were public an option would to give the privilages to those with x amount of likes, posts or limit users "down vote" with a specific amount per hour & day. Nevertheless this would be a necessary balance to likes.

I wrote this...
are you going to release it?
are there config options, like x votes needed within x days, etc? perms like 'can view votes'?
have you given any thought to, as an option, instead of locking- moving the thread to a predefined forum? many boards have a specific node for crap threads.

are you going to release it?
are there config options, like x votes needed within x days, etc? perms like 'can view votes'?
have you given any thought to, as an option, instead of locking- moving the thread to a predefined forum? many boards have a specific node for crap threads.
Its already set up for this... right now, this is part of XenUtiles...

4.webp

So i need some friends (to pass a double account check if there's one) and we can close ALL the topics?
yea:)

isn't this useless and "dangerous"?? ok it's not really dangerous, but if you have some users with MUCH freetime, they will make your moderators very busy....

my 0.02$

As a default feature in XenForo it would greatly be a large negative action and way too open to abuse. Generally speaking, I don't see how you can see it's different from a Dislike link. You may not be doing it to individual posts but you're doing it for an entire thread, counting all the posts as a whole.

If the thread itself is problematic, the Report link would suffice and would likely be much more effective provided you have an active enough staff to handle reports in a timely manner.

I can imagine a few instances where this may be useful but I can't see this as something that should be anything more than an add-on.

The solution here is to grant the power to "down vote" to those members who have a predefined reputation value. In other words, only those members who have shown some degree of contribution and community value will have the power to prune the spam from the thread.

Top Bottom