Domain name registrar change overs

I currently have my domain with the registrar as set up on my original host. I have since set up a new hosting account with another host. I requested a EPP code from my old ( but still operating ) host who supplied it.

I passed this on to my new host and asked them to arrange the transfer. i then had to go back to my old host for a transaction and security code ( one of each ) which he supplied. I passed them back through my new host but they tell me that the domain is still locked with the original registrar. ...... where do I go from here in order to get the transferal of my domain completed ?

I am the named owner of the domain and my transfer request is about two days old.

many thanks for any pointers

tom

The locked state is separate from the codes. Some registrars give you a manual control to disable this, if you can't find it for the domain control panel of your old registrar, get in touch with them and ask them to disable the locked state (clientTransferProhibited).

Liam

Thanks for that. I have contacted my current registrar and he told me he has unlocked it now. Apparently It can take 7 to 10 days to transfer over. Does that sound right ?

Just as a head's up, you should register your domain with a domain registrar, not your host. Then when you change hosts, you don't have to go through any of this. You simply change your nameservers (at the domain registrar) and away you go.

Thanks for that. I have contacted my current registrar and he told me he has unlocked it now. Apparently It can take 7 to 10 days to transfer over. Does that sound right ?

Yes. That timeframe is realistic. It will usually take less, but that timeframe is realistic.

Thanks for that. It's the first time I've had to set this up. My current forum was done for me. A steep learning curve ahead I think.

Cheers

Top Bottom